Yokohama Avid Ascend or Goodyear Assur ComforTread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need new tires on my '07 TSX, and with DT's current $100 rebate promotion, the time to buy is now.

After researching a bit, I'm down to the Yokohama Avid Ascend or the Goodyear Assurance ComforTread Touring. I had also considered the Michelin Primacy MXV4 (and MXM4), but eliminated them based on price. They're good tires no doubt.

I've had good luck in the past with Yokohama Avid V4S and Avid Envigor. I think Yokohama is a good value tire. I think Michelin is probably a better tire company as a whole, but price/performace, Yokohama is tough to beat.

The Goodyear's will be about $50 more OTD (after DT's $100 rebate and Goodyear's $80 rebate that expires today) than the Yokohama's. What are your opinions on these 2 choices? Do you think the Goodyear's are worth the additional cost?

Thanks!

Comforttred gets my vote. Good traction , quiet ride and long mileage warranty. Run 2 psi higher than stock though. Sidewalls might feel a bit soft otherwise.

Just ordered two sets of the Goodyear Comfort Treads for my Cruisers. Have Yokohamas on one, AvidV4 but they are different performance tire and dont last long.

Went with the Goodyears based on the reviews, price was 5$ more per tire for the GOodyears. The Yoko ascends are too new to know if they last or not.

Put Goodyears on my Hyundai Santa Fe and no complaints. The real test for me will be in the winter, maybe not a problem for you though. I got the V rated tire.
The Michelins were actually cheaper than the Goodyears for me at DT.

I was considering the Michelin Primacy but the 70$ rebate went away yesterday. With the GY , I got the 100$ from DTD plust the 80$ GY rebates.

I have run summer and winter tires on all my cars, so I was looking for long life and quiet. I guess I will find once I use them next year. Just couldnt pass up the deal at DTD.

ComfortTred Touring may be a good performer. Co-worker's CRV has a set with 70k+ with tread left, though one pair is very cupped due to alignment.

Avid Ascend is OK (bought one set for a friend's Fit), but it is quite squirmy on the road and the latest TR test shows wet traction to be downright horrid.

Also, another co-worker's 08 TSX has a set of YK520s from Discount Tire. Although I usually shy away from store-exclusive tires, these perform great on the TSX.

Thanks for the responses. The Goodyear's have received positive comments, and it seems the Ascend's are too new to get any real reviews yet.

I deal with the Manager at my local DT, and while I was in the store today I told him I was torn between the two tires. For the second time he told me that Goodyear's are very good tires, but for whatever reason he sees more balance issues with them. He also raised some doubt whether I would receive both the $100 rebate from DT and the $80 rebate from Goodyear, even though they're mailed to different processing facilities. He said they can lookup sales histories, and can deny rebates this way. Even with both rebates, the Goodyear's were $50 more OTD...it wasn't worth the risk to me, and I wasn't convinced that if I received both rebates the Goodyear's were worth $50 more.

I ended up going with the Yokohama Avid Ascend's, though the Manager did make a late push for Michelin Primacy MXM4's. These were originally on my short list along with the Ascend's. His offer was very competitive and hard to turn down. I got the Ascend's for $64x after the $100 rebate. Not bad IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back