Best oil for 2003 V-Rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked this one up, and the place I bought it from had changed the oil & filter, but I don't know what brand or even what weight they installed in it. I know these engines tend to beat their oil mercilessly due to the common lubrication between the engine and tranny. I have a feeling whatever oil is in it now is pretty well sheared to nothing. When it's hot, the shifting gets "notchy", and I've been told that inferior oils will do that on these bikes.

I was thinking of running Schaeffer's #707 V-Twin 20W50. I've used that in my air-cooled H-Ds and it worked great.

A lot of the V-Rod guys on one of the other forums I frequent are all about Amsoil for these bikes. I've never been much of an Amsoil fan, but I will run it if it's deemed the best for this application.

Any input is appreciated.

I agree, Im running the Valvoline 4T 20w50 synthetic in my Triumph with good luck. The revolution motor should like it fine and its pretty inexpensive if your local Wal Mart carries it. Otherwise, I say Mobil 1 V twin formula would work fine in it.

Happy riding and congrats on the purchase.

I run Mobil 1 15w50 syn in most of mine. My Triumph has a common sump for engine/trans...shifts super slick..around $25 for five quarts at Walmart.

The Schaeffer's #707 20W-50 will do a great job. Amsoil is probably very good, also, but you know the Schaeffer's, and you know when the oil starts to feel "worn out." Pls let us all know your results after you've run the 707.

"I run Mobil 1 15w50 syn in most of mine. My Triumph has a common sump for engine/trans...shifts super slick..around $25 for five quarts at Walmart."

my 2 local wally worlds don't carry it & unfortunately the NAPA brand 15w-50 synthetic at my local store has an energy conserving stamp, so no good for wet clutches...ggrrr!!!

My local supplier of Schaeffer's was out of #707, so I got #705 instead. A little research shows there's not a whole lot (if any) difference between the two. I know the #705 always worked good in my airheads before #707 had even been introduced.

What a difference! The old oil came out like water... It had virtually no viscosity whatsoever! I only had about 1000 miles on this oil (whatever it was) and it was sheared to nothing.

My shifting is smoother now, and even my clutch engagement is way smoother.

Time will tell how long this oil holds up in this application. I'm just curious if this engine/transmission is really that hard on its oil, or if I just had a very inferior oil installed in it when I got it.

Ok, so I've pretty much quadrupled the life of the oil with the Schaeffer's vs. whatever [censored] they had in the bike when I got it. A little under 5k on this change, and it's just starting to every now and then get a little sticky feeling when shifting, and the clutch is starting to engage a little more harshly. Time for a change soon.
My local O'Reilly store carries M1 20w50, and the store manager is willing to give me a smokin' deal on it because it's been a dead mover. Since getting it in stock, they haven't sold one quart.

So... The million dollar question. Stick with another change of Schaeffer's, or try the Mobil 1?

I am going to run a H-D oil filter too this time, since it states a 10 micron rating, and thru some research, the Wix I have on it now is rated at 29 microns. They were the same price.

Anyone using a HDEO in a shared sump motorcycle? The VRSC manual recommends "oil certified for diesel engines", although not sure this applies to the CI-4, CI-4+, or CJ-4. The manual says CF-4, CG-4, CH-4. The CJ-4 oils were bottom rated in the TDR57 issue turbodieselregister.com, lower calcium and TBN, though maybe not important in the VRSC application.

The CJ4 succeeds the other earlier CI4 and CI4+ ratings much like with gasoline engine oils SN rated.

However, you will see them shear in the shared sump V rod. You may want to try Valvoline VR1 as a cheaper alternative as it has shown to do very well in Harley v twins and show no signs of wet clutch incompatibility.

I don't think the V-Rod has a shared sump. Changing your motor oil probably won't do a thing for your shifts. I know the big V-Twins have seperate motor, transmission, and chain case fills. On my XL the motor oil is seperate from the combined tranny & chain case.

I use Mobil 1 V-Twin for the motor and HD SYN3 for the tranny.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cbear
I don't think the V-Rod has a shared sump. Changing your motor oil probably won't do a thing for your shifts. I know the big V-Twins have seperate motor, transmission, and chain case fills. On my XL the motor oil is seperate from the combined tranny & chain case.

I use Mobil 1 V-Twin for the motor and HD SYN3 for the tranny.
The V-Rod's Revolution engine is a shared (wet) sump engine.

So far, the M1 V-twin has been so-so. It doesn't provide that "liquid silk" feeling like Schaeffer's did, but the gearshifts are smooth, albeit a little more "notchy" feeling. Clutch engagement is fine, but again, the Schaeffer's oil did make a noticeable difference on the smoothness of the clutch. With M1, it feels a bit more grabby (might not be a bad thing) by comparison. I'm interested to see how this oil being a full synthetic holds up against shearing compared to Schaeffer's blend. I did notice upon draining the Schaeffer's, it didn't come out like water like the first unknown oil did. It probably could have been left for a while longer, but I was taking a long ride and wanted fresh oil and filter before I went on my trip.

All the V-Rod guys are trying to get me to hop on the Amsoil bus, but I'm still reluctant. I might try it just for the sake of evaluation and comparison, but at $13/quart (x5!) that's an expensive experiment.

I found the VRSC 2012 manual online and it calls for up to CJ-4. Your oil choice is best determined by miles per season. If it is <4k HDEO 15W40 is fine, if going 8k-10k than M1 or AO 20W50. I cannot see paying per qt what is per gallon. HDEO is still very high HTHS, and REVO shouldn't see extreme temperatures of EVO.

After all you have said with regards to your success with Schaeffers, why in the world would you even entertain switching?

Originally Posted By: GT Mike
The V-Rod's Revolution engine is a shared (wet) sump engine.

Thanks GT Mike,
I learned something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back