Toyota RAV4 transmission drain and fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just completed a Mobil 1 oil & cartridge filter change on a 2010 Model V6.

While underneath noticed the fill and drain locations for the transfer case and differential. As those locations are drained and filled in the near future, a transmission fluid drain and fill will be done.

I've located the drain for the transmission fluid on the pan but see no dip stick or location to fill. I've read of forum postings completing such task with attention only to locating the drain on the pan under the plastic shroud. I am aware of Toyota's WS fluid and it's lifetime no change view however it will be done regardless. The vehicle has 50k with the tow package and has towed cross country. It runs great at this time.

Any insight where to fill?

I haven't done one of these...but the Factory Service Manual would be well worth it. Since it's "filled for life"...it's going to be some complicated drain, then fill, run to operating temp, and check with another plug on the transmission casing, kind of procedure. Even if you do a cooler line flush (which would be my preference), you still have this complicated level check...I still have the FSM for my 4 Runner. Best $100 I ever spent on any vehicle...

RAV 4 owners/techs, feel free to elaborate...

so...recalculating needs to look harder?

Recalculating: If you plan on keeping this for a long time, the FSM is worth every penny...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Recalculating: If you plan on keeping this for a long time, the FSM is worth every penny...

Especially as it could be downloaded for free from various websites.

Sigh...yeah...but it's nothing like leafing through that weighty tome with greasy fingers while I struggle through a procedure...

Was going to "re-purpose" a windows XP laptop for garage work, including OBD II hook-up for the Volvos...maybe it's time for this old guy to join the digital age...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Nope, filling is very easy as it has a dipstick in the usual location. How do I know? I've done drain and fill already in one of those.

I think its camouflaged in black unlike other dip sticks. Blends in.

Thanks for the replies. This vehicle is a friend's who lives here in the summer and the southwest in the winter months. We travel there or somewhere south for awhile in the winter.

He told me the Toyota dealer said there was no fill/ dipstick so I just took the info for fact. We'll discuss then complete the service before the travel later this summer.

So no FSM for this vehicle for me. I have the "grandpa" '99 Buick PAU loaded with sunroof as the golfing car and the Gen 3 Honda CR-V as the daily.

Regards

Astro 14 :

Did exactly that with the laptop for the garage. Have GM shop manuals on disc, obd II scanner and the TPMS reset system on it.

It's enjoyable having the room and equipment to get these services done at home.

I have a full winter set of wheels with TPMS for the Honda. When the dealer charged me $90 to put them o and reset the computer and boasted it would be $90 in the spring, I told them they'd never see it again. I bought my own reset system for $150 and do it myself.

Laptop computer to do live scans going down the road too is neat.

Just follow-up to locating the dipstick on this RAV.

It is located near the driver side of the radiator at the 8 o'clock corner of the battery. All black with a clip to secure the stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back