Ratcheting wrenches: Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am accumulating gear to start trying my hand at some more work on the car, but also these are just some tools that every guy should probably have in their garage.

My current wrench inventory is a couple random ones from my FIL that he gave my wife when she bought the house before we were together, so I am looking at a set.

I'm the kind of guy who would rather spend more once and buy the right thing than try and pinch some pennies and be buying something else in 5 years. The ratcheting combination wrenches are quite a bit pricier than the regular old wrenches (especially with the flex head) and I'm just wondering if it is something worth getting. I can see the advantage of having it, but in reality, is that advantage worth the price premium? To me, it is also just one more thing that can break.

I'd like to keep them American made, but then you start getting real expensive if you want the ratcheting. The GearWrench ones are on sale at Sears for a moderate premium over the standard Craftsman combination wrenches, but I'm just trying to figure out where my money is best spent. Keep it simple with wrenches? Or are the extra "features" worth it? I'd like to think if I buy the right item now, that I won't have to buy those particular sizes ever again. Thanks for the input.

YES, everyone should have ratcheting wrenches. I can think of a few uses right off the bat in my experience where they are just lifesavers.

I changed rear struts recently and I had to hold the strut spindle with an allan key, and used the gearwrench to just work the nut off no problem at all. In a tight space where no regular ratchet would fit, the gear wrench probably eliminated 5 minutes of getting on and off the fastener with a regular wrench. Total lifesaver tools.

They can be lifesavers and I think they are definitely "worth it" to me, but:

They are NOT a replacement for standard combination wrenches because the larger box end sometimes will not fit.

I second duckryders opinion, I am biased though....my profession calls for the use of them nearly on a daily basis.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
They can be lifesavers and I think they are definitely "worth it" to me, but:

They are NOT a replacement for standard combination wrenches because the larger box end sometimes will not fit.

Totally agree. These should augment your standard wrenches in a few key sizes.

I was given a husky set as a gift a few years back and have been happy with them.

I'll eventually buy both at some point. I just wasn't sure if it was even worth adding, or if it was kind of a "luxury" item. I'd also like to stagger my purchases, as the wife is already starting to see things roll in and is wondering how much everything costs.

Maybe I'll grab the GearWrench even though they aren't American made, and then scour Ebay for a good set of American non-ratcheting from SK or Proto. Maybe even just buy the GearWrench in metric because that is what I need in the short term for my Honda, and then deal hunt. I also just noticed the "X-Beam" GearWrench with the flex head is only $9 more than the regular flex head. That might be the way to go.

I used them once, recently, and I really liked them. I don't know if I'd want to gorilla on them (certainly not hit them with a hammer!) but I liked 'em.

I wonder if the cheaper ones are lower torque rated? That shouldn't be a problem--if you need to break something loose, use a regular wrench. With that in mind, as long as it has lots of fine clicks it should be great. Just like a ratchet.

I might have to buy a set for myself.

I have a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 drive ratchet sets (Craftsman). These things just don't ever wear out and I have owned some of them for 40 years now.

I should probably buy a set. Having one to take out the retaining bolt on our Corolla's serpentine belt tensioner would have saved me about 20 minutes and some bleeding knuckles.

I've got a set of Craftsman ones. They're one of those tools you use once in a while that is a massive time saver.

Absolutely worth every penny.

I consider ratcheting wrenches a must-have item.

But, you're not supposed to use them to break stuck fasteners loose, so there still will be applications where you need a regular wrench or a socket/ratchet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I was given a husky set as a gift a few years back and have been happy with them.

I bought my dad two sets, in metric and SAE sizes, a few years back, for Chistmas. He has not returned the favor. Think I'll remind him of that this year
wink.gif

Last edited:
I have a couple of sets, but I use the stubbies the most. I got them from Sears on sale. The first set I bought was a double box end metric set off of the tool truck, then I bought an open end set from Lowes on sale. They are all Gearwrench brand and have stood up well.

They are nice! I have Gear Wrench and Husky from HD. I picked up a 7pc set of Metric and SAE from Home Depot last Christmas for $20 each. They are the ones you have to flip over to loosen or tighten.

My oldest son bought me a metric Blue-Point set a few years back and I like them. They're probably not designed to take a lot of torque, so I don't use them for breaking loose stuck fasteners.

I wouldn't say they're a must-have for a diy, but they're a great time-saver when you do use them. I just wish there was room to fit on the back bolt of the thermostat housing when I replaced the thermostat on my 3100 Buick.

I like the normal wrenches better. Nothing to wear out. I can't see a ratchet wrench holding up to be standing on it or holding a bolt as I have an impact wrench on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back