Zmax actually works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GatorJ
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Used it. Liked it. Would of posted all the data some time ago but since testimonials/feel good stories prevail over data, it would of been wasted.

Why not try posting your data and impress us?

1.6 MPG increase in my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid as measured by both the vehicle's on-board hybrid information center and a ScanGauge II.

Nice report, if it works that well for you I'd stick with it.

I was looking for Trajan's data, he doesn't believe testimony, even if it comes from hundreds of members here. I can understand a few people posting positive results would be questionable, but when hundreds of members have nearly identical positive results, I'd consider that pretty solid proof, worthy of a closer look or even a try for myself. I haven't seen hundreds of positive postings about Z-Max yet so for me the jury is still out. I even tried it in the gas with no noticed change in anything. I will keep an open mind though.

Used it. Liked it. Would of posted all the data some time ago but since testimonials/feel good stories prevail over data, it would of been wasted.

Because you don't like data. You want anecdotes. You accept things at face value. If that wasn't true, you'd be asking for data.

Prove me wrong. If you have what it takes.

I hear about this additive every so often. A buddy of mine works at a quick lube, and he sees it all, customers come in asking him to substitute all kinds of weird stuff into their crankcase....and this was one of them, so he asked me to look into it.....

I believe when it first came out, it was snake oil, and did not perform as it claimed......and someone filed a complain with the FTC or whatever, for false advertising.....but the "new" stuff and the revamped marketing, seems to be onto something.....at my local WM, this is one of those additives that just does not seem to move though......the shelf is always full, even with the $5 Mail in rebate on the box :X lol.....whereas, the MMO, Seafoam, Regane, Lucas, are all heavily picked through......

Same situation with the "Slick 50 High Mileage Gas Treatment" - it's about the same price as Seafoam......and sits right next to Seafoam but never seems to move....

Tempted to try it one of these days (zMax that is)......I have the feeling this is a "performance grade" additive though....correct? It's not a "cleaner" (i.e.: MMO, B12 CHEMTOOL, etc. Flush type products...)?

Unfortunately I don't think he actually has any data, otherwise it would have been shared already IMO.

OK real quick.. This isnt zMax BUT I did put a whole 8oz bottle of TUFoil in the crankcase all at once, as opposed to the 4oz or such recommended by people. Engine runs more or less the same, a touch smoother. I had cleaned it out previous as well as using a lot of added Moly and by A LOT i mean 3x as much as I should have.

By the way, type it into the Amazon dot com search box. Not sure if those are troll reviews or not, but.. TUFoil gets 4.5 out of 5 stars.......

EDIT I think zMax maybe people got away from it since the infomercials in the year 2000 and 2001 where Carroll Shelby said all his cars left the factory with it in the oil and trans fluid. Carroll Shelby's Oldsmobile Aurora-based car has since stopped being made, and zMax is on the shelf next to many other things. Only Seafoam, MMO, and certain other things (Regane) seem to move from that shelf. B-12, Duralube, STP, Slick 50, Lucas all seem to be these useless products that sit there. Seafoam, people believe it will clean the gas, and it indeed feels like it does. MMO is said to clean slow, and has many uses, I am skeptical of it in gasoline. The rest? Sit there...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: panthermike

Unfortunately I don't think he actually has any data, otherwise it would have been shared already IMO.

Unfortunately, I did. Four months worth. But being that anecdotes such as "XXX cleaned my engine" followed by the next post of "Good report" are what is wanted, I decided long ago to not post it.

I once said mmo fixed a problem. demarpaint said "Nice report." No one, nada, ever questioned it. So, why post data in an intellectual wasteland? Certainly not worth the trouble.

If it is, why accept anecdotes at face value?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Funny to dis this stuff while 99% of you are still pretending Mobil 1 and PP and Synpower are synthetic oil. Haha ha haha ha.

Well, to be 100% correct, remember M1 0w40.

0w40 M1 isnt, either, rather synthetic technology according to XOM where it purportedly substitutes some majority base griii into the blend - though I cant argue or second guess the long approval list and its attendant performace specs. GC may still be majority PAO base if the listed pour point of -65F is true (given the listed HTHS doesnt meet ACEA A3/B4-10 and, where we may question the veracity of the spec table publisher) AND if PAO floats your boat (not mine). I would cave and call GTL stocks if it fits in the proper VI margin, though the gas is surely not of one flavour. Id like to call griii made from paraffin wax bottoms aka: Visom, XHVI SHELL; i.e: Slack wax converted, primarily due to capable high performance, but it just ISNT a technical synthetic (made from pure building blocks in a simple reaction).

Last edited:
I was looking for Trajan's data, he doesn't believe testimony, even if it comes from hundreds of members here. I can understand a few people posting positive results would be questionable, but when hundreds of members have nearly identical positive results, I'd consider that pretty solid proof, worthy of a closer look or even a try for myself.

Hundreds, eh?

THOUSANDS of people in Fatima, Portugal swear they saw the sun fall out of the sky and crash into the earth in 1917.

MILLIONS of people today -- right now -- believe the late Sathya Sai Baba could resurrect the dead.

How's that for solid proof?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I was looking for Trajan's data, he doesn't believe testimony, even if it comes from hundreds of members here. I can understand a few people posting positive results would be questionable, but when hundreds of members have nearly identical positive results, I'd consider that pretty solid proof, worthy of a closer look or even a try for myself.

Hundreds, eh?

THOUSANDS of people in Fatima, Portugal swear they saw the sun fall out of the sky and crash into the earth in 1917.

MILLIONS of people today -- right now -- believe the late Sathya Sai Baba could resurrect the dead.

How's that for solid proof?

And the millions of kids who swear there is a Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: Loobed

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2112818&page=1

Now that you posted this, someone should just lock this thread. Odds are, nothing else will be added to enhance the discussion.

Excellent line. Point to Mike!

But the facts are that Zmax was FTC'd and survived intense scrutiny. And FAA approval, fer chrissakes!

C'mon guys, the FAA does NOT approve snake oil.

I don't like Z max because you have to keep juicin' to keep the results, but one thing you can't say is "it doesn't work".

Wow.. didn't this one stray away!

Either way I still have a noticeably smoother, quieter 200k mile 5.4 in my truck so I'm not complaining about spending the $10 on Zmax!

Who'd a thunk it. That's all it took? Bunch of people to say "oh this [censored] is snake Oil!" And the FTC steps in, does some (likely expensive) tests.....and then determines it WORKS as advertised?

Sounds like a good idea
wink.gif
Which additive to target next?
smile.gif

But no really, how did it go down? I wasn't into "cars" back then....and even tried reading thru the zMax/Shelby docs....and just couldn't get thru them :p What pressured the FTC to "step in" all for an oil additive....?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: Loobed

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2112818&page=1

Now that you posted this, someone should just lock this thread. Odds are, nothing else will be added to enhance the discussion.

But the facts are that Zmax was FTC'd and survived intense scrutiny. And FAA approval, fer chrissakes!

I don't like Z max because you have to keep juicin' to keep the results, but one thing you can't say is "it doesn't work".

Now we're talking.

Some people poo poo the FTC approval. But that is not a cheap or trivial excercize. When the engine of a car fails, you pull over.

When the engine of a plane fails, well, as a sarge in the Royal Army once said to prospective recuits for the Royal Flying Corps "It's a long way to fall and you only fall once."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Aviation oils and PCMO are very different things. Aviation oils do not contain the robust detergents/cleaners that a PCMO will have.

I believe the light oil's increased solvency might help with an aviation oil, but not likely to do much in a car engine.

Simply because the FAA approves something, doesn't mean that it "works". The FAA only certifies that it is safe to run in an aviation engine.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Aviation oils and PCMO are very different things. Aviation oils do not contain the robust detergents/cleaners that a PCMO will have.

Simply because the FAA approves something, doesn't mean that it "works". The FAA only certifies that it is safe to run in an aviation engine.

Z-Max is used in aircraft piston engines not turbine engines. Engine oil for aircraft piston engine is even more robust than automotive oil because they still use low lead gasoline.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/aviation/products/lubricants/piston_engine_oils/about/

The reason Z-Max was used in general aviation because it has proven to work. It then got FAA approval so it can be sold. Pilots are very hesitant to put anything unknown in their engines and a lot of them that I know of do use Z-Max. I use Z-Max because it works for me and I can get it cheap.

Is not Zmax the microlubricant that soaks into metal?

I think zMax maybe people got away from it since the infomercials in the year 2000 and 2001 where Carroll Shelby said all his cars left the factory with it in the oil and trans fluid. Carroll Shelby's Oldsmobile Aurora-based car has since stopped being made, and zMax is on the shelf next to many other things. Only Seafoam, MMO, and certain other things (Regane) seem to move from that shelf. B-12, Duralube, STP, Slick 50, Lucas all seem to be these useless products that sit there. Seafoam, people believe it will clean the gas, and it indeed feels like it does. MMO is said to clean slow, and has many uses, I am skeptical of it in gasoline. The rest? Sit there...

Getting too personal folks.

Time to end this thread and I hope the same players don't end up in another thread with the same results...

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back