2011 Ford F150 with gas 6.2 liter, what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my hunting truck and although will be in and out of 4 wheel drive will not be driven very much as it is a second vehicle for hunting. What brand of motor oil will be best. Ford recommends Motocraft 5w30, what brand is best, Amesoil, Mobile 1, T6? Looking for suggestions as I am a new guy here.

Originally Posted By: Mohican
Ford recommends Motocraft 5w30,

Are you sure about that?
Doesn't it recommend 5W-20?

In either case, you can't beat moderate-priced brands like Motorcraft and Pennzoil. Sure you could pay more for others, but it's not really necessary for basic, run-of-the-mill four-wheeling on occasion.

I own two four wheel drive pickups and all I use is Pennzoil these days. Either Yellow Bottle or Platinum will take that new truck anywhere. No need to consider Pennzoil Ultra until that vehicle ages a-bit. You don't need Ultra's cleaning power in your new truck.

Last edited:
sorry it is 5w20.

What brand filter as well.

Thanks

Last edited:
Based on your application the best oil filter would be the Motorcraft fl-820s. OEM filters are inexpensive and very good quality.

Oil: Since it wont be driven very much any good conventional meeting Ford's spec would be fine and as far as I know that is any name brand conventional oil or higher.

You can use Motorcraft, PYB, VWB, Mobil Super, Chevron Supreme, Trop Artic or any oil you like since it will not be seeing too many miles. They will all perform very similar as its subjective to which oil is the best.

If you can find it locally, Kendall Syn-blend 5w-20 would be my choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
Based on your application the best oil filter would be the Motorcraft fl-820s. OEM filters are inexpensive and very good quality.

Oil: Since it wont be driven very much any good conventional meeting Ford's spec would be fine and as far as I know that is any name brand conventional oil or higher.

You can use Motorcraft, PYB, VWB, Mobil Super, Chevron Supreme, Trop Artic or any oil you like since it will not be seeing too many miles. They will all perform very similar as its subjective to which oil is the best.

If you can find it locally, Kendall Syn-blend 5w-20 would be my choice.

+1 - You will likely receive many recommendations ranging from top end synthetics to standard conventional oils and the full gamut of filters as well. My 2010 started with Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 and a Motorcraft FL-820s for the first 70K miles. I have since switched to Mobil Super 5000 5W-20 (still using the FL-820s) and my UOAs cannot tell the difference.

Volk06 is on the right track--any good conventional oil will serve you well and I will add Formula Shell, Havoline DS, Valvoline NextGen, Peak Conventional, and Quaker State Advanced Durability to the list. If a synthetic is desired then Quaker State Ultimate Durability would be the most economical choice, but in any event, I would use the MC filters.

Good luck with the truck and
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

For those who have used and use the FL-820S filter... Would you push this filter to 10K mile OCI?

I will also say... My sons 08 F150 w/5.4L 3V was filled with PYB 5W-30 from the 5K mile mark until the 170K mile mark... We bought it and brought it home...

I have always used Mobil Products... I switched over to a combo mix...

5Qts--Mobil Super HM 5W-30 {Syn-Blend}
2Qts--M1 HM 5W-30 {Synthetic}

The 5.4L really seemed to like this oil... It was very smooth and quiet with the PYB as well... But just seems to be a bit smoother with the Mobil... I would not hesitate to switch back though... Both Brands of oil are Top Notch!

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
For those who have used and use the FL-820S filter... Would you push this filter to 10K mile OCI?

Here is one at 7,480 miles; I think it could probably go another 2500:

FL820s @ 7,480 Miles

Originally Posted By: Mohican
This is my hunting truck and although will be in and out of 4 wheel drive will not be driven very much as it is a second vehicle for hunting. What brand of motor oil will be best. Ford recommends Motocraft 5w30, what brand is best, Amesoil, Mobile 1, T6? Looking for suggestions as I am a new guy here.

Welcome to the site!

Now prepare yourself for the next statement ...

There is no "best" oil.

There are many good oils. And there might even be one that would perform admirably above others for your application. But until you clearly define what "best" means, then there is no really good answer, despite what you might read here and elsewhere. Those brands you listed are well respected and have earned their solid reputations. But that does not mean they are "best" for every application.

For one thing, the T6 is an HDEO in 5w-40 grade; you don't need that at all and there is no concievable benefit from running such a thick oil in today's well made engines that are designed to run on 5w-20 oils. Please double check your spec; I doubt 5w-30 is corrct. According to this direct Motorcraft link, 5w-20 is spec'd for the 6.2L (this is 2012 manual, but I doubt it changed in 2013MY) (page 389)
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOCF12/~MUS~LEN/36/12f12og3e.pdf
Note that only the EcoBoost calls for 5w-30.

You must define:
what your OCI plan is
what your tolerance is for maintence tasks (DIY or pay others ...)
ease of attainment of products
do you want to seek rebates
operational issues
environmental issues
warranty issues

If you are going to change oil with the OLM (or before) there is simply zero reason for use of synthetics. Conventional oils (dino's as we refer to them often) do very well in normal circumstances. There is a sub-forum of UOAs here where you can peruse for days, and you'll see that in short-to-moderate OCIs, syn's hold no advantage. One of our members here (2010_FX4) is doing a fantasic job of proving that right now with his long, methodic testing; there are others doing the same.

Ohio does not get cold enough to justify the whole "must use synthetics" comments, despite what other would tell you.

Do not confuse wants with needs. One is based on emotion; the other based on facts. To truly know what is "best" (after you would define clearly your needs) then you would have to run a long series of UOAs using consistent inputs, and controlling variables, so that true data could show which is "best".

The reality is that any decent brand name oil is more than good enough to protect your new investment. Facts and data prove this out. While it is true that syn's do provide two distinct advantages (longer OCIs and e-x-t-r-e-m-e cold protection at start up), you're not likely to be involved in either of those circumstances. You cannot benefit from a perceived advantage when the conditions never present themselves; you cannot capitalize on something that does not exist for your situation.

So, step back and read please. Don't let yourself get caught up in the sales hype and internet rhetoric.

Last edited:
Thanks FX4 for the time you took on those pics... After this run of Mobil HM oil... I'm going to go back with the oil that achieved these 177K miles with no issues... I might just throw 2Qts of Ultra...

5Qts of PYB and 2Qts of Ultra and a M/C filter.

Seen a UOA with 7K miles with this combo within a 4.6L and I was sold...

Sorry to high jack this thread...

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Thanks FX4 for the time you took on those pics... After this run of Mobil HM oil... I'm going to go back with the oil that achieved these 177K miles with no issues... I might just throw 2Qts of Ultra...

5Qts of PYB and 2Qts of Ultra and a M/C filter. Seen a UOA with 7K miles with this combo within a 4.6L and I was sold...

Sorry to high jack this thread...

Syn--you are quite welcome. Was the UOA with the PYB/PU blend much different than the PYB only UOA? I ask this because I have seen almost zero difference between my PU UOAs and the MS5K UOAs (save for the 4PPM of Tin in the last one, they are almost indistinguishable).

Apologies OP for the hijack as well...

FX4: I seen the UOA within on of the F150 forums... To answer your question from what I remember, the wear #'s were very similar between the 2...

I do remember the operator liked this blend... For the fact he just had to buy 2 qts of Ultra {Synthetic} to extend his OCI to 10K miles... Which was what he averaged a yr... According to Polaris Labs he could have gone a bit further... I really don't know if that is achievable with just PYB? I have never seen a UOA doing so...

If my memory serves me right he had like 1qt make up oil during the 10K miles, which he used just plain PYB...

I can't remember how many miles he had on the 4.6L at that time...

FX4: I have read your posts over the last few months... You have proved what Newton has been preaching for a long time... We really don't need the High End Expensive Synthetics to Protect our Normal Everyday Drivers... Now the High Performance Modded Engines might be a different story...

I would use Mobil Super 5000 in a heart beat... I just have made up my small mind to use PYB next with a little dab of Ultra... Kinda like experimenting with a perfect recipe already...Just to possibly make it that much better? Ya just never know!

FX4 I respect what your doing... Keep it up! I'm one who just beats to a different drum...

I will say this: My grandfather sold Amsoil! My Father sold Amsoil part time as well as work for OG&E for 30yrs... He made a good part time income from Amsoil... I was brain washed into Amsoil... But after growing up and learning on my own and finding this forum and reading Newtons posts I really seen the light--{You Might Say}... Synthetics Oils and Gear Lubes have there place in the automotive world... Just not as much as with the average daily driver...

Keep up the great work fellas...

Now my next step is to look into a Fuel Additive that actually works to add with every fill up to clean and help keep clean the entire fuel system... If there is such a thing.

On my Ford Modular engines (4.6) I have settled on the FL820S. I tried the Pure One, Wix, NAPA, etc. and the FL820S is the best value and I believe the best protection, within reason. Now, the 6.2 isn't really considered a Modular engine, but it does take the FL820S.

The same goes for Motorcraft oil. It's the best overall value where I live and I use it for everything I maintain, and it's an excellent oil.

I don't know if Motorcraft oil and filters are the best for other Ford vehicles (non-4.6/5.4) or for other manufacturers, but for a Ford mod motor they're hard to beat.

Keith

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back