2005 taurus trans fluid and filter ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My moms car has 98,000 and original brake pads and never had the trans serviced.The filter kits say shallow or deep pans how do i know whats what? Also what fluid should i use in this? What pads would be the best ? Did it come with ceramic pads 98,000 with the orig pads is [censored] good.My mom is 60 though my only complaint is the factory pads did mess up the hubcaps with brake dust.

Last edited:
1) Take the VIN number to AZ and they can tell which tranny you have.
2) M1 ATF
3)No, on the ceramic pads as OEM because you see brake dust.
4)I would go with ceramic, but consider changing the rotors.

Since this is 2005 Taurus, I assume that the transmission is AX4N. The fluid is Mercon V. Nearly every auto supplies store sells it, also Walmart sells Supertech Mercon V. I have had best experience so far with Motorcraft Mercon V. Our local Ford dealer has it for $7 a quart. You can also order it from an O'Reilly parts store, by special order, for only $5 a quart. Try to avoid multi-vehicle products that are merely "recommended" for Mercon V application (proper mercon V was tested and licensed by Ford itself). You will need about 6-7 quarts for a pan drop and filter change. You will need 13-15 quarts for a full ATF flush, as described in the tutorial.

As for filter, any parts store filter should work. I have been using Advance Auto Parts ones for a while (King Pro, or something like that). The transmission pan gasket is reusable, so I suggest you keep reusing it. Some people had issues with aftermarket gaskets that come with the filters.

There is a tutorial on taurusclub web site:

http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Flush_your_transmission_at_home

Last edited:
I cannot speak for all multi-vehicle ATFs but can assure you that if you go with the Amsoil ATF spec'ed for your vehicle it will be better than almost any ATF including Ford. But its a bit of a PIA to get (I just order mine) and its on the expensive side, but would be the last ATF you put into this vehicle.

Other things to consider, a Magnefine inline filter (in addition to the internal one) and running AutoRx for maybe 3K miles before you dump the old ATF.

Originally Posted By: jsnyder49090
My moms car has 98,000 and original brake pads and never had the trans serviced.The filter kits say shallow or deep pans how do i know whats what? Also what fluid should i use in this? What pads would be the best ? Did it come with ceramic pads 98,000 with the orig pads is [censored] good.My mom is 60 though my only complaint is the factory pads did mess up the hubcaps with brake dust.

NO SUCH THING AS A MY 2005 Taurus.

If it is a 2005 Ford Five Hundred WITH THE
AISIN AWF 21 transmission unit ....YOU SHOULD ONLY USE
MOBIL "JWS 3309", or the Toyota branded version which is "TYPE IV"

The use of any other fluid could cause serious damage which may make the unit fail .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The use of any other fluid could cause serious damage which may make the unit fail .

Can you quote a source for that statement?

Originally Posted By: jsnyder49090

I am not sure what you're talking about. The 4th generation Ford Taurus was made until 2007 model year. All those later year models came with AX4N, which calls for Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I cannot speak for all multi-vehicle ATFs but can assure you that if you go with the Amsoil ATF spec'ed for your vehicle it will be better than almost any ATF including Ford. But its a bit of a PIA to get (I just order mine) and its on the expensive side, but would be the last ATF you put into this vehicle.

I think Mobil 1 and AMSOIL ATF can be a bit overkill for this car if they were to be changed at the manufacturer recommended 30,000 mile interval. The synthetic ATF has more endurance, but one problem when ATF is kept for too long is all the wear particles that may hang out along with with it.

the eazy way to be sure about the trans is the model is stamped in the pan, if you are still not sure the different depth filters they have two different color seals were they filter fits up in in the trans. Just pry it down filter and match the color of seal with he two choices of filter kit and yes reuse the lifetime gasket on any car that comes with them always.The pan depth is not very different so looking at won't help unless you had both side by side. We use Chevron Mercon 5 and have for years great results. We never buy motorcraft and I have yet to see a motorcraft factory as they MAKE NOTHING. motorcraft is just a name they have low bidders make and package and then they sell at high prices. All the brake parts I have seen labeled motorcraft in the last few years are all china parts just jacked up prices for cheapy brake parts. We also 100% use Akebono Pro Act pads, great feel, good stopping, no noise, no dust, good on rotor life and good pad life also.

I've always had good luck using Valvoline Maxlife in Ford transmissions. Thats what I would use in that car. Seeing that it's missed a few services, I'd probably change the transmission fluid with the next several oil changes just to flush everything out. The model for the transmission will be stamped on the pan (or generally is stamped on the pan). I'd take that and order the proper filter and gasket kit from rockauto.

For brake pads...I've had good luck with Wagner products for brakes. The Thermoquiets seem to be a low dusting pad on all the cars I've used them on. Also had great luck with Wagner rotors.

Any "premium" ceramic brake pad should be ok. E.g. any store brand brake pad (AutoZone Duralast Gold, AAP Platinum, NAPA Adaptive One etc), as well as aftermarket brands like Akebono ProACT, Wagner Thermoquiet, etc.

APP has a pretty good deal on Wagner Thermoquiet right now. If you have a store in your area, order a set of brake pads online for an in-store pickup, and use A123 on check out ($20 off orders over $50), then save receipt and go to AAP rebate's web site and apply for a $10 mail in rebate (September only). You end up with a nice set of brake pads for $30 and change. This is cheaper than buying online..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjcom
I've always had good luck using Valvoline Maxlife in Ford transmissions.

The latest Maxlife ATF does not list compatibility with Mercon V on the back of bottle, even though the web site still makes this claim. The viscosity at 100C also seems much lower than a typical mercon v fluid. I wouldn't recommend it. The normal Valvoline Mercon V should be ok though.

Originally Posted By: vssjim
We never buy motorcraft and I have yet to see a motorcraft factory as they MAKE NOTHING. motorcraft is just a name they have low bidders make and package and then they sell at high prices. All the brake parts I have seen labeled motorcraft in the last few years are all china parts just jacked up prices for cheapy brake parts. We also 100% use Akebono Pro Act pads, great feel, good stopping, no noise, no dust, good on rotor life and good pad life also.

You may be right. Not all Motorcraft parts are good (except for engine mounts. I swear, all or most store brand ones are junk compared to them). However, fluids do have a good reputation, engine oil as well as ATF. I forgot the name of who makes the Motorcraft fluids, but they are a major refinery, the same that makes Kendal syn blend. In any case, in my experience with a Taurus, the transmission always run fine on MC Mercon V. Once I used a mix of Castrol and Valvoline Mercon V (simply used what I had), and I did not like the result. Frequent shudder and slips right after ATF change. The car is doing fine right now after I added a bottle od Lubegard Platinum. It could also simply be due to the age of car. I am still going back to Motorcraft on the next ATF change.

thanks guys wix filter kit 15.00 wagner thermo quiet 30.00 rock auto still up in the air about trans fluid but will likely use mercon-V does anyone know if WM carries this ??

The bottles are Maxlife haven't listed Mercon V for about a year or more now. I remember contacting Valvoline on the matter, they said it is still recommended for Mercon V applications. If you're not comfortable with that, which I can't blame you if you're not, then using a fluid that is just Mercon V is completely understandable. I believe Walmart does carry Mercon V fluids.

Originally Posted By: jjcom
The bottles are Maxlife haven't listed Mercon V for about a year or more now. I remember contacting Valvoline on the matter, they said it is still recommended for Mercon V applications. If you're not comfortable with that, which I can't blame you if you're not, then using a fluid that is just Mercon V is completely understandable. I believe Walmart does carry Mercon V fluids.

I wonder how Valvoline's tech support would explain how Maxlife ATF stays Mercon V compatible with a kinematic viscosity of only 6.11cst, which is at least 1 full cst less than all "Mercon V" fluids I checked. I indeed would feel more comfortable running Walmart's Supertech Mercon V.

Don't know where you got your info, but it is 100% wrong. That body style Taurus was made along side the 500, mostly in fleet sales, until 2007 MY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back