JASO-MA Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just dropped down a deposit on a new 2012 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with power steering. They are calling for JASO -MA oils and I want to give it the best care I possibly can so I am wondering what you all think are the "best" oils out there for that spec.

What viscosity does it require..

I believe the jaso-ma is just the "has to work with wet clutch" spec

Rotella Triple Protection 15w40 for the Spring/Summer

Rotella T6 5w40 for Fall/Winter.

Both are JASO-MA rated and MUCH cheaper than OEM or boutique options.

Anything from 5-30 to 15-50 depending on temp, still waiting on the owners manual since I haven't picked it up yet. Maybe I am jumping the gun but I like thinking about Lubrication, am I weird? Middle of the road is 5-w40 semi syn.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with that ATV... Does it even have a wet clutch? If not, you can run whatever you want, unless you are concerned about the warranty.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
Rotella Triple Protection 15w40 for the Spring/Summer

Rotella T6 5w40 for Fall/Winter.

Both are JASO-MA rated and MUCH cheaper than OEM or boutique options.

+1 -- these are some of the best values on the market for JASO-MA oils. I ran Kawasaki 10w-40 in my Brute Force and then switched to T6 and have been very happy with it thus far. My BF is not a wet clutch bike, but Kawasaki calls for JASO-MA oil as may be the case with your Grizzly.

Yep, it has a wet clutch. So many different kinds of JASO-MA oils. Amsoil, Yamalube, Rotella. Not to mention all the other motorcycle oils out there like Maxima, Bel Ray, Motul, PJ1 and Klotz.

Suprised there isn't more info on these oils.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
So I just dropped down a deposit on a new 2012 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with power steering. They are calling for JASO -MA oils and I want to give it the best care I possibly can so I am wondering what you all think are the "best" oils out there for that spec.

Amsoil 0w40 is the best for this engine in my opinion.

if you want something good & durable to use while you do research then use Shell Rotella T 15w-40 (yes it does have JASO-MA certification) or hurry up and grab some Valvoline 4-stroke 10w-40 conventional motorcycle oil from AutoZone before the end of April...it's on sale for $2.99/qt and good stuff to boot!

probably just me, but If I pay 7k for an ATV I'm not going to worry about paying $4.00 a Qt more for Synthetic, especially when you only need 3 Qts total.

I use Mobil 1 4t 10w-40. I only change mine once a year, I guess if I rode a lot I would think differently.

Here is another vote for the T6 Rotella...I run it in my 07 Honda Rubicon, my son's 2009 Recon 250, my wife's 2004 Yamaha Bruin 350 4wd and my 06 Yamaha V Star 650.

Only have to buy one type and brand of oil.

The Grizz has a wet centrifugal clutch.
I use SRT 15W-40 in summer, in the fall I change to SRT 5-40, mine's 9 years old and going strong. I use Rotella in all my bikes so I have it around anyway.

Last edited:
I'm running Rotella T6 in my 450 grizzly.....no issues at all! The oil holds up really well too, I do once/year OCI's at 1000 miles. It wasn't even close to being black.

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
I'm running Rotella T6 in my 450 grizzly.....no issues at all! The oil holds up really well too, I do once/year OCI's at 1000 miles. It wasn't even close to being black.

5w-40?

I have been a motorcycle owner all the way back to Saturday. I bought a 2004 Honda Rebel 250. So, one of my first questions was, What oil? since it was due for an oil change. I finally decided on M-1 4T 10w-40 since it meets the mysterious JASO MA standard. I know it cannot be energy conserving and must not have moly in it. For the heat here I wondered if maybe a little heavier might be better but decided to go with the owner's manual for once.** At 1.6 quarts per oil change, price is not a huge deal and it is synthetic.

It has been many, many years since I rode a motor cycle, but it comes right back. Not that I am ready for the test, but I will be real soon. Then I can be a real poseur. (note the correct spelling)

**Please note that all you who automatically respond with "Read the owner's manual."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back