Where to get straight 90 gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might as well try to find a 20W50 engine oil. It would offer more protection than a straight GL1 gear oil.

What is the application?

NAPA still sells GL1 SAE 90 gear oil in gallon jugs. Tractor supply stores should also carry SAE 90 gear oil. The old Borg Warner 3 speed overdrive transmissions specify the use of a non EP oil along with many farm implements. I use a good SAE 40 engine oil in the old transmissions when I don't have the SAE 90 on the shelf.

Its the correct fill for a Yugo/Fiat 128/Fiat x19 4 speed. The synchros did not care for the super tech 20w50. When driving a Yugo with 55 HP, missing a shift because the synchro didn't let me in could get me killed.

Last edited:
I'd look for an industrial user and offer a contribution to their coffee fund for a quart or two of their ISO 220 viscosity gear oil. This is often used in gear boxes with bronze worm gears and other industrial usages.

This one might meet your needs. I don't think you'll find a gallon. But maybe you could share a 5 gallon pail with your Yugo friends.

http://products.lelubricants.com/item/sae-90/almasol-pure-mineral-gear-lubricant-401/401?&bc=100|1073|1074x

46Harry on another thread said:

Quote:
NAPA sells a an SAE 90 GL1 gear oil for use in older gear cases with bronze parts such as old Borg Warner 3 speed with overdrive transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back