Chrysler 300: More Problems. Ticking Bad At Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it wasn't one thing it's another. Suspension shot in 75,000 miles.

I have a 3.5 Liter Engine, 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring. This is my 2nd run of Royal Purple, this time with a PureOne Filter. Within 150 miles on oil, I started getting a very bad start up ticking, it last for about 15 seconds or more, very loud and tapping sound, seems like it's coming from drivers side valve cover area, it's like someones inside the cover tapping it with a screw driver. It happens even if car just sits a hour. I even heard it once when the car was completely warmed up and idling. You can't hear a faint tapping sound every few seconds when idling, but nothing like when it first starts up after sitting for a bit. My 2.5 year old even said to me, " Daddy what's happening to your engine"..Now that is funny!..What to do. My car oil was changed by Belle Tire, for some reason it looks slightly overfilled even though I supplied them with 6 quarts, like they didn't let it drain much, I did notice a couple air bubbles on dip stick. Should I take off filter and drain out some and reinstall another filter.

Last edited:
Instead of dumping the oil, take off the filter and use one that has worked well for you in the past. That will let some of the oil out and eliminate one possible cause. That is an expensive filter unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Id be sure that they actually used your RP and your filter first...

It's my filter, it's a pure one. Seen them pouring it in my car as I was talking at service counter. They used it. Not blaming the oil yet or filter, it could be just a coincidence.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Instead of dumping the oil, take off the filter and use one that has worked well for you in the past. That will let some of the oil out and eliminate one possible cause. That is an expensive filter unfortunately.

I have used the Pureone few times with no issues. Last one was a Napa Plat. But I got that on sale and I was going to use twice, but since I didn't change it myself this time I went ahead and just put a P1 on. I probably just go to Walmart and pick up a Mopar filter there only $5.00 and change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Sounds like the filter to blame.

I hope not, I love P1's..But if it is, that's fine. I will keep it and take it apart, take some pics if I find anything. That's if the ticking goes away.

I would not worry too much about a "tick" in a modern engine. There is more "tick" complaints than ever today across engines and car brands. Just use the RP like you would normally use and if you suspect it is the oil just change brands next OCI.

That sucks man. Id put a different filter on. If that doesnt fix the sound then id guess mechanical prob. Could it be a damaged lifter?.

Originally Posted By: Topo

I hope not, I love P1's..But if it is, that's fine. I will keep it and take it apart, take some pics if I find anything. That's if the ticking goes away.

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. If you find the filter is faulty, just remember that anything made in a factory can be made wrong. If you happen to have gotten a bad one, don't assume they're all bad; instead notify the manufacturer of the suspected problem so they can figure out what went wrong and make fewer bad ones in the future.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: Topo

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. If you find the filter is faulty, just remember that anything made in a factory can be made wrong. If you happen to have gotten a bad one, don't assume they're all bad; instead notify the manufacturer of the suspected problem so they can figure out what went wrong and make fewer bad ones in the future.

Normally, to avoid a claim, they will send you postage to send the old filter back and send you a new one.

If you change the filter and it goes away DO NOT cut it open, contact purolator and hopefully they send you a swap.

If they dont want it back or wont swap it, then cut it open.

see my post/issue with K&N that was resolved

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2643813

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I would not worry too much about a "tick" in a modern engine. There is more "tick" complaints than ever today across engines and car brands. Just use the RP like you would normally use and if you suspect it is the oil just change brands next OCI.

It's a very loud and audible tick..not even close to a little tick. I hear little ticks all the time, but this one is real bad..

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. If you find the filter is faulty, just remember that anything made in a factory can be made wrong. If you happen to have gotten a bad one, don't assume they're all bad; instead notify the manufacturer of the suspected problem so they can figure out what went wrong and make fewer bad ones in the future.[/quote]

That is what I will do. I not going to blame them. I work in a manufacturing plant, we makes mistakes. It's all good, nothing made by hand and automated can always be perfect. I will inform them and let them know if that is the case. But perhaps It's a lash adjuster issue and not even filter. Will find out soon.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

I tend to agree, however I would replace the filter with a different brand just as a precaution.

Also OP did not mention if he used the OEM spec oil weight. If I find usual operating characteristics my first thought is improper oil weight spec, or filter.

I use 10W30 to answer a previous post, exactly what it states for my car. Filter is the same size as the Mopar spec filter.

Also OP did not mention if he used the OEM spec oil weight. If I find usual operating characteristics my first thought is improper oil weight spec, or filter.[/quote]

10W30. You know the horror stories on Royal Purple shearing fast, that be a crime if it sheared in 150 miles..LOL! Been using the same filter size since I bought the car. Fram only makes the PH16, TG16, Xg16 for for most Chrylser 300 with the 3.5Liter, Mobil specs a smaller filter for the 2010 model. So basically I have a smaller version and a slightly bigger version depending on brand. The Mopar is the bigger version. So that's the one I use.Never had a issue with it.

Last edited:
want the tick to stop? use a factory filter (mopar) which is a purolator anyway and use some sn dino in the weight your engine calls for.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
want the tick to stop? use a factory filter (mopar) which is a purolator anyway and use some sn dino in the weight your engine calls for.

I been thinking about..I have 6qts of Shell 10W30 Dino on stock. I just got most of my synthetics as cheap or cheaper than dino oil. Been running synthetics for 50,000 miles without a hitch so far. The Royal Purple i'm using I purchased for $2.00 dollars a quart from some guy who didn't need it anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back