V6 F150 4.56 gears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 95busa
All- thanks very much for the input. I decided to run with the 4.56s- if it was a daily driver I would probably run the 4.10s, but since it is really only run over about 10 miles when I am towing, hauling, or hunting I think I am OK accepting risk on high RPMS, which seem like they would only get on the high side with OD locked out. I appreciate the heads up on the pinion speed/cooling issue. After break in I will run a Mag-Hytec diff cover with Redline or Amsoil 75w-140 in order to mitigate those potential problems.

I'm assuming it's an auto tranny? You'll need a programmer to adjust the speedo. A good custom tune either way will help wake things up. SCT xcal3 from VMP tuning or Troyer Performance are very good options for that.

Originally Posted By: msmoke00

I'm assuming it's an auto tranny? You'll need a programmer to adjust the speedo. A good custom tune either way will help wake things up. SCT xcal3 from VMP tuning or Troyer Performance are very good options for that.

Not necessary on a Y2K model, speedo operates from a gear in the tailshft housing... Change to appropriate gear, done...

I ordered a superchips tuner from Summit that can correct gear changes. I will probably load in an 87 octane towing tune to go with it- IIRC from when I had a superchips on my 05 Ram.

Well the gears are going in as we speak. As soon as they are done I will load up the superchips tune and get down the road. We'll see how they do and I will report back.

sometime back i had my mech put 4.1 gears in my 2001 dakota 3.9 V 6 engine auto trans. my friends, on this site told told me that the 4.56 gears i was thinking of putting was to deep, unless it was a street racer. so in went he 4.1. it seems to be just right. i went from 3.55 to 4.1. and it started getting better MPG. cause the trans started shifting in to overdrive at lower MPH. most of my driving is 30-40 mph, that is why my MPG went from 8-9 mpg to 13-14 mpg. iam sure speeds of 60-70 MPH the MPG would go down. i think a 4.1 is best, unless its a street racer. LOL

You do not have enough truck for your trailer. To do this properly, you need to replace your truck, not your axle gears.

I swapped 3.73 for 4.56 gears in my 2000 Silverado 4.8L. What a mistake. I wanted something in the 4.25 range but couldn't get it, so my choices were 4.10 or 4.56. The 4.56 gears are fun to drive around town, but highway rpm is too high and highway mileage went down about 5mpg. On top of that it really doesn't seem to tow much better. Remember, you can always shift down to third or second, but you cannot go the other way if your gears are too low. If i had to do it over again I would definitely go with 4.10s.

The truck is rated to two 5500lbs with 3.55s....Ford thought it was enough. I am not trying to increase tow capacity, only to help the truck tow better within factory constraints.

So you guys know, anyone who says I don't have enough truck when I am almost a ton under factory rating (I am talking about 4000 pounds LOADED, not dry) are disregarded immediately as irrelevant to the conversation. If Ford, who is subject to direct liability as a result of their tow rating thinks it will do it, I believe it is well within its capability.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I swapped 3.73 for 4.56 gears in my 2000 Silverado 4.8L. What a mistake. I wanted something in the 4.25 range but couldn't get it, so my choices were 4.10 or 4.56. The 4.56 gears are fun to drive around town, but highway rpm is too high and highway mileage went down about 5mpg. On top of that it really doesn't seem to tow much better. Remember, you can always shift down to third or second, but you cannot go the other way if your gears are too low. If i had to do it over again I would definitely go with 4.10s.

I hear you on this one. Several factors influence the 4.56s in my book. 1.) you have a V8, I have a V6. You have about 300 or so lbft of torque, I have 255. The 4.56s will help me get up to speed and slow down, as well as making the trailer more controllable. Also, I think I will be ok when driving without the trailer. As I said, like 2300 RPM at 65...not exceessive by any means. And in case anyone missed this one- this truck is not a daily driver.

I thought there were certain gear ratio's that would fit certain size pumpkins and the 4.56 did not fit the 8.8 in your truck. Could be mistaken.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I thought there were certain gear ratio's that would fit certain size pumpkins and the 4.56 did not fit the 8.8 in your truck. Could be mistaken.

Whimsey

4.56 is a very common aftermarket gear ratio for the 8.8.

Well....just drove her back from the shop. She drives like a whole new truck...no downshifting on hills, effortless takeoff, etc. Runs great, couldn't be happier with it. The gears are a little noisy, but not bad at all. Didn't get over 65, but I typically don't do much over 70 on the interstate anyway. We'll see how the mileage looks. After 500 miles I will dump the rear end oil and drop a finned cover on it, probably a PML.

I mean the gears are a little noisy. That is possible, but they were not the high dollar "quiet" gears either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back