Help me choose a fuel stabilizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen these various brands of fuel stabilizers sold locally:
Sta-Bil, Opti-Mizer, Pennzoil(gumout), Pri-G, and Briggs & Stratton brand. Which one would be the best choice for fuel stored in several seldom used pieces of equipment to include: Gasoline tractor, pickup truck, and lawn & garden equipment. Thanks.

I allways use Seafoam available at Napa stores. Very good stuff...usefull for other things too.
grin.gif

I think that Pri-G is the best OTC fuel stabilizer. But since I have used Pri-G in the past, I now use Fuel Power (FP) or Schaeffer's Nuetra with the same or better results.

cheers.gif

I used to use Fuel Fresh, which is now packaged as the Briggs and Stratton brand stabilizer. Worked very well and is easy to find. I now use Fuel Power or Neutra. Better results, IMHO, that more than offset the slight inconveniance of getting them.

I love the Neutra. I use it in my fuel, I put a little in my oil about 500 miles before changing, and I put some in my SAAB's manual tranny a little before I changed the fluid (10w 30 oil) in it. Can't beat it for 10 bucks a gallon either.

cool.gif
I've only used Sta-Bil, but it's been okay, never a problem. Mower, weed whacker, jetski (all 2-stroke) in winter and snowblower in the summer.

quote:

Very good stuff...usefull for other things too.

OK OZ, I'll leave that one alone.
shocked.gif

Just wanted to mention that FP can also be used as a fuel stabilizer as well. Same treatment rate.

Specifically, I use the FP/Neutra mix.

Thanks for all of your replies. I picked up a bottle of PRI-G this afternoon. I didn't realize that it was so concentrated. It only requires .0625oz per gallon or 1oz per 16 gallons. Looks like I have enough to last me several years.

Neutra is an excellent stabalizer. This summer the MolaMix gets a tryout. I used some PRI-G and found it worked well but the concentrate turned dark and started to smell like old gasoline in about a year. Ended up throwing out half of the 32 oz bottle. You might consider climate controlled storage for the PRI-G.

I was in an Autozone several months ago and observed an exchange between a customer and the store manager.

Customer had several cans of Seafoam and a hand full of red fares. The customer was asking for more of each. And if the flares were made of a specific kind of phosphorus. Manager said no on all counts.

Customer left the flares and bought the Seafoam. Right after the Manager bough out two more cans of Seafoam.

I asked what that was all about and was told the phos and Seafoam are used in the manufacture of drugs.

Did the Autozone Manager know what he was talking about? The customers reaction (leaving the flares) seemed to back up the store.

[ February 28, 2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Neil Womack ]

Yep, methanphetimines.

The same guy and his cohorts probably had just raided the local Walmart for pseudafed as well.

BTW, chemical suppliers are now supplying the DEA with names of people and end users who order certain kinds of chemicals on a regular basis, unless they know the end user is a legitamte pharmaceutical firm or chemical compounder.

Behind every counter of every store that sells things like that there is usually a sign saying, "Watch out for customers buying these products in combonation," and lists all the stuff.

Get ahold of a sign and it's a "how-to become rich" book. =)

A person would have to be insane getting chemicals like this, mixing them together (and risking going to prison) and then putting junk like this into your body. I cannot imagine the horrible stuff that people are doing to themselves. I have heard of people smoking cigarettes with embalming fluid in the cigarettes. If they want to kill themselves why don't they just kill themselves. Isn't booze and maybe weed enough?

Think what these dangerous chemicals do to your body, at least over time. I bet there are people who complain about chemicals in the environment or cigarette smokers in restaurants who are injecting this awful stuff into their bodies. This is sick.

What the heck do they use seafoam for in making meth? You can get a gallon of all of the things in seafoam at homedepot for less than 16 ounces of seafoam.
rolleyes.gif
I guess if they were smart enough to know that they wouldn't be making meth...
dunno.gif

Here in MN they were having problems with Anhydrous(spelling?) Amonia tanks being stolen from farmer co ops and propane tanks being stolen from peoples fish houses on the lakes. I guess they can use anhydrous to make meth and they were using the propane tanks for cooking the stuff. It is really getting to be a problem around here. Recently their was a couple busted making meth that were around 60 - 65 years old, so it isn't just kids making the stuff.

I never use gas stabilizers .Why are they needed? Boats, chainsaws,weed wackers,leaf blowers all start up with no problems. Just wondering.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
I never use gas stabilizers .Why are they needed? Boats, chainsaws,weed wackers,leaf blowers all start up with no problems. Just wondering.

Same here. Unless those things sit for over a year you really don't need it. Many will argue that isn't true, but years of never using it and collecting engines has taught me different...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back