toyota tacoma manual trans fluid alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
my '08 taco calls for a 75w90 as the fill for every sump except the engine. i change every 30k, as per the manual; and i am going to do the 90k change next weekend. i have been using mobil 1 75w90, but i have learned there may be better alternatives for the transmission.

i know i dont want a syncromesh type fluid, as that would be too thin for my trans.

any advice?

Originally Posted By: clatterpillar
my '08 taco calls for a 75w90 as the fill for every sump except the engine. i change every 30k, as per the manual; and i am going to do the 90k change next weekend. i have been using mobil 1 75w90, but i have learned there may be better alternatives for the transmission.

i know i dont want a syncromesh type fluid, as that would be too thin for my trans.

any advice?

You don't want Amsoil MTF (as you stated). Amsoil MTG is the recommended product.

Amsoil 75W-90 MTG - LINK

Quote:

Any oil suitable for a Manual Transmission with synchro assemblies IS a Synchromesh transmisson fluid, whether that fluid is a 7.5 cSt (an ATF-like viscosity) or a 14.0 cSt viscosity (75W90).

I also have an '08 Tacoma, a 5-speed. Although Toyota specs. 75W-90 in either GL-4 or GL-5, the one you want for that manual transmission is a GL-4. For the differential(s), a GL-5, as per Toyota's specs. For the transfer case, you can use either. All but the rear diff. spec. 75W-90. In the rear axle, Toyota says GL-5, SAE 90, which is next to impossible to find in the USA, so most folks use 75W-90 in that unit, too. For the trans., which is the subject of your inquiry, I use Redline's MT-90, which is a GL-4 rated fluid in 75W-90 viscosity.

I believe you are correct, INDYMAC, insofar as GL-4 being now an 'obsolete' spec. However, it was apparently still in effect in 2008 (at least it was still in the 2008 Tacoma owners manual). The last time I checked, both Amsoil and Redline were still showing that specific gear lubes they market met the GL-4 specification.

I ran the GM syncromesh fluid in my 08 Taco w/5sp for about a yr and that stuff definately made a nice smooth slick shifter out of it...that fluid is not reccomended for it as far as I know...later I went with the Amsoil GL-4 and it was about as good as the GM syncromesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back