Run Away KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I heard about this last week. It was a push start vehicle and it would not shut down when she hit the button. The brakes burned up and she could not get it to shift into neutral.

Quote:
"Police said her brakes burned out"

That means she must have been riding the brakes for a while. If she had slammed the brakes the moment she noticed something was wrong instead of trying to call people on the phone, should would have probably been able to stop right there. Alas, it's easy for me to say... I wasn't there.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
Doesn't make sense.

On my vehicles, the pedal to the left of the accelerator will always cause deceleration, regardless of what the engine is trying to do. Get down to a reasonable speed, find a straight stretch, and turn off the ignition.

it has "push to start button" how is she supposed to turn it off.

also the more momentum you have the less effective brakes work.

go 85 and try stepping on the gas and brake at the same time..
(ok don't but you may be surprised)

alternative: try reading the article before commenting

you can also use the delete post button to delete your post.

Last edited:
I read that headline as "Run Away From KIA".

I suspect there will soon be a gov't requirement for the button to turn the engine off so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Doesn't make sense.

On my vehicles, the pedal to the left of the accelerator will always cause deceleration, regardless of what the engine is trying to do. Get down to a reasonable speed, find a straight stretch, and turn off the ignition.

I had a sticky throttle cable once and on a big truck, the engine wins. Going 60mph brakes slowed me down but they wouldn't stop me. I was able to slow down enough and put it in neutral to shut it off. Need less to say, I cleaned the heck out of that throttle cable. That was the first and last time I ever want to experience that.

Last edited:
Amazing she didn't hit anybody.

Since it has a DBW throttle, it's conceivable that an electrical short caused the throttle to stick open. Or, the potentiometer in the gas pedal shorted, and caused the whole thing. Lifting the gas pedal with the foot might confuse the computer enough to ignore inputs from the gas pedal, causing the engine to return to idle and the vehicle to slow.

They almost need to mandate a third pedal in the cabin that's a physical disconnect between the transmission and engine....

So it has a push to start button.
Most cars used to them at one time.
Doesn't turning the ignition to the off position kill the motor?
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but just a question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Doesn't turning the ignition to the off position kill the motor?

Reading the article, it sounds like she tried it, but pressing the push start/stop button did not do anything.

You PRESS the start button and HOLD it till it stops.

EVERY vehicle that I've been in I've tried this and it works.

I still see no need for these push button systems. Way too complex for such a simple task.

Most of these systems don't have a key. Just a Fob that you keep in your pocket or purse.

Glad she is okay. Good driver and I'm impressed with the handling of that KIA. Also she went 30 miles in 59 minutes? Someones math is off.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
You PRESS the start button and HOLD it till it stops.

EVERY vehicle that I've been in I've tried this and it works.

I still see no need for these push button systems. Way too complex for such a simple task.

Most of these systems don't have a key. Just a Fob that you keep in your pocket or purse.

Glad she is okay. Good driver and I'm impressed with the handling of that KIA. Also she went 30 miles in 59 minutes? Someones math is off.

Evidently I'm not up to date on some of these newfangled systems.
Thanks for the explanation.

I can kill the engine of my Hyundai by holding in the start-stop button for longer than two seconds OR repeatedly pushing the button 3 times in less than 3 seconds.

Toyota/Lexus has a new system wherein if you hit the brakes, even if you have WOT, the gas pedal is cut, and brakes win.

Which also means that you cannot rev up the engine while you are stopped with your foot on the brake.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Doesn't make sense.

you can also use the delete post button to delete your post.

Your rude response seems a little unnecessary, as Brian is correct.

Brian Barnhart is correct that on many vehicles with drive by wire, the computer is programmed with brake override. If you press the brake and accelerator at the same time, the vehicle automatically gives braking a priority. Generally, it will cut the engine's revs.

More info in this article, which says the 2011 Sorento does have brake override:
http://blog.newsok.com/carsok/2012/05/23/brake-throttle-override-becomes-the-new-standard/

Also, most vehicles with a start/stop button can be shut down while driving. The owner's manual for the 2011 Sorento says if you hold the button down for 2 seconds or press it 3 times quickly, it will shut off the engine.

In fact, here's the page in the owner's manual that says what to do.
2011Sorentostartstop.jpg

I also don't see why she wouldn't be able to shift into neutral.

In theory, there could have been a mechanical or electrical problem that caused the vehicle to accelerate, but it looks like there are things the driver could have done to stop the vehicle. I would guess this is another case of a driver not knowing what to do if the accelerator is stuck, but that's just a complete guess.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Agreed 100%. Its one of those things on a car that is there 100% for the "gee whiz!" factor and provides absolutely NO enhancement to function or really even to convenience whatsoever. The novelty will wear off, just like it did for pushbutton transmissions in the 60s (which I still think are very gee-whiz and cool, but if you ever saw the linkages required for pushbutton automatic, you'd think a plain old lever looks pretty darned good.)

Originally Posted By: sciphi
They almost need to mandate a third pedal in the cabin that's a physical disconnect between the transmission and engine....

You mean a clutch?
wink.gif
Perhaps we do need more manual transmissions!

I don't think I've ever been in a vehicle that you couldn't just put into neutral no matter what the speed or throttle. Am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back