16000km 2002 VW Jetta TDI ALH Shell T6 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think
549499_10151205715694703_1513209619_n.jpg

EDIT: removed personal info

Last edited:
Could be.. My 2002 1.9 TDi almost does not smoke, even if driven hard.. but i do short (around 9000k/6 months on 5w40 505.01) OCI's.. very clean inside.

The 2.0 TDi Audi gets quite smokey with just a tiny spirited drive.. and puffs real clouds of black "camouflage" thru its rear end when i drive it like crazy.. (12000km OCI's on 507.00 5w30).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DustinC
what could of cause the high vis? My car is quite smoky so could it be from the soot?

EGR is disabled ?

Everything on the car is stock, although it has 270,000 so the turbo might be showing a little wear.
Injection Timing is Advanced slightly, not sure about cam timing because a shop did the timing belt, I will be doing it myself @ 300,000
I have done the Evry mod, but I only use it for passing on the highway.
Car only smokes in the 3500-5000rpm range, and if I drive it hard for a while the smoke clears up. But if I baby the car for a week then hit red line there is enough smoke to make my stock Cummins jealous

How much is your make up oil? My 2003 TDI Golf at 278K miles smokes only when I am on it hard but I do have a Van Aken fuel box. Not sure how long you want to keep it but I would invest in a bypass filter setup. You do know that your TDI redline at 4,800 rpm right? You might have a valve float problem at high rpm due to high mileage.

Valvetrain is good for over 6000rpm I doubt I am floating valves
And I used .5 litres make up oil
Any where to get a affordable bypass filter or just amsoil?

Originally Posted By: DustinC
Valvetrain is good for over 6000rpm I doubt I am floating valves

What make you think the valvetrain is good for over 6000rpm with 270K miles on it?

it only has 167k miles I'm Canadian
my reasoning is other jetta has 550,000 and a Mtdi pump and I've had it up to 6000.

Last edited:
With the viscosity just out of limits and the Iron up on the average I would recommend not pushing the oil change limit any further. Blackstones do sometimes seem to encourage extended oil change intervals and I would look at changing oil & filter at 15K km as more reasonable. The Calcium figure is also a bit on the low side for a diesel oil.

Last edited:
Have you cleaned the intake manifold? It gets a lot of build up from the CCV and the EGR. If it has not been done yet, clean the intake, reduce the EGR flow, and put a down pipe or oil separator on the CCV line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back