'08 Cadillac DTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read it that the Northstar and transaxle were state of the art during Reagan....I did have to infer a few things due to grammar issues.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Reread my post carefully. Read what I ACTUALLY POSTED. Comprehend it. Then, and only then, respond to it. Thank you.

Go away troll, nobody cares.

I had an 05 in pearl white. I like someone else posted got almost 29 MPG with it on the highway.
I got it in 06 and it developed carbon knock but that was easily cleaned up and kept away with an additive.

That car was otherwise problem free, never any trouble and ran smooth and quiet, it had some decent power too when pushed.
The ride was very good, it soaked up bumps like they were not even there.
The car is with another family member now and they have had no trouble with it at all electrical or otherwise and its over 130K now.

I replaced it with a loaded M35X and in all honesty the Infinity has been more trouble, it doesn't ride as well and isn't as good on rough streets.
Nothing i have owned has had more electrical gremlins than this Infiniti.
I have to say i would rather have the big Caddy any day of week.

If asked if i would buy the Caddy again i would without hesitation say yes absolutely. I cant say the same for the Infiniti.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If asked if i would buy the Caddy again i would without hesitation say yes absolutely. I cant say the same for the Infiniti.

My niece has a 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe. A pathetic piece of garbage. She drives it very carefully. We try to take care of it. But it's literally falling apart.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
Originally Posted By: Trav

My niece has a 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe. A pathetic piece of garbage. She drives it very carefully. We try to take care of it. But it's literally falling apart.

Weird. I see a ton of these through my friend's Infiniti shop, and most are pretty darn reliable.

OP: Good choice since you are in the market for a large sedan with a soft suspension, but it is rather dated. I would rather have a newer Avalon, personally.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
BTW, the Northstar was introduced in 1992. Reagan's first term ended in 1984. At that time, "state of the art" for V8 luxury sedans was SOHC and two valves per cyl (Mercedes). Audi's V8 was still four years away. BMW's V8 was still eight years away. To my knowledge, in 1984, there wasn't a production V8 sold by anyone in a luxury sedan that had four valves per cyl. and DOHC. Domestic "state of the art" in 1984 was pushrods and carburetors. So, your comment that the Northstar was "state of the art" in Reagan's first term is ignorant and ridiculous.

You, of course, are 100% correct. The only real competition to the Northstar engine at the time was Lexus' DOHC 4.0L V-8, but it of course was down on power and displacement.

Those of us who have owned these machines know their virtues. I've owned two Northstar-powered Cadillacs. Excellent machines, both of them.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Well, the DTS is a land yacht. Why do you think they stopped making them in 2011? I may look at an STS. I hear they are very similar & even have same leg room.

The STS is on a RWD platform whereas the DTS is on a FWD platform. They may have similar leg room inside, but they're really two very different vehicles. The STS is more like the CTS than the DTS.

My buddy loves his Cadillac's(last 2 were DTS's). But has just gotten the small CUV. He's had'em for many years(as long as I can remember) and won't buy anything else. Every one of them has only had a few issues for them expecially right after the warranty expires but, that's when he trade'em in!

It doesn't matter if there are better cars on the market, he wants a Caddy! The new ones are better than the ones from the 70's! Man, those were terrable!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back