Baldwin vs Hastings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched and it appears Baldwin and Hasting are the "same" filter. Does anyone know if the media is the same? Some people seem to think the Baldwin has a higher grade of media. I know things change over time and just trying to get the most current info.

Also, do they both have the coil spring in the end? Or do they have that "wing" looking thing?

The main differences between a Baldwin and Hastings are the color of the paint, and the number scheme.

Here's a Hastings LF115
DSC06327.jpg

And a Baldwin B2 (Same Model)
BaldwinB2.jpg

Now, the "Special Baldwin" The HPG model with the HPG Media.

BaldwinB2-HPG.jpg

Baldwin B2 and Hastings LF115 look the same to me. HPG has a little more media.

Both Hastings and Baldwin have the coil spring. Clarcor makes a cheaper filter they sell as "Casite" and private label for Federated Auto Parts. Many of those have the Leaf Spring.

Don't know, but I'd be surprised if they routinely used different medias, or were even significantly different in any way other than paint and labels. If these two brands of filters roll off the same assembly lines (???), then having two different medias and two sets of innards for, say, a Ford pickup truck application, would be economic malpractice. Expanding shared components among systems is the order of the day, of course, reducing the number of parts bins down to as few as possible.

I can buy Hastings at a local Federated Auto Supply. Where is the best deals on Baldwin filters?

There's a site called TruckHelp.com that has Baldwins. Usually you find Baldwin and Fleetguard where you find Big-Rig parts.

Prices are similar to Hastings. I shop Federated too!

Clarcor makes above average filters, and prices are fair.

Fleetpride sells Baldwin's, its a heavy duty truck supplier and service place like mentioned above that's where you can find them.

I just stumbled onto this and I can clear up any confusion as I'm an engineer at Baldwin's HQ in Kearney Nebraska.

Baldwin and Hastings are one and the same. Exact same innards on cross referenced part #'s. They are made on the same assembly lines and use all of the exact same parts. You guys would be pretty surprised to see all the brands that we make filters for. Lots of OE brands, and quite a few other brands will buy a few PN's from us as well. We make a lot of filters for the big name brands too, like CAT, Purolator, Napa, and plenty others. They go down our line with the same guts as the Baldwin red filters, just get painted and printed to the customer's spec.

So in short Baldwin = Hastings, end of story
smile.gif

Last edited:
A Baldwin engineer told me that Baldwin filters were marketed mainly to the commercial and industrial users, and Hastings mainly to automotive users. I've used industrial Baldwin filters with good results for many years.

Originally Posted By: zmelli
The Baldwin does not have any Hair!

I think that applies only to Guinea Pigs.

MammalBreed_2_111_1.jpg

Baldwin guinea pigs have nothing much to do with Oil filtration, but they do make nice pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back