VW Dealer want to do a BG Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Getting the 20K service on my VW, they want to do a BG service which includes an Intake and fuel system cleaning along with an engine oil additive.

Well I told them to keep the engine oil stuff, as I don't want to mess with what I"m doing.

Does anyone know if an intake cleaning will damage my TDI diesel engine, I know you can't use the Amsoil Power foam on a Diesel. There really is no information on their products. Their site really sucks.

I wouldn't do it unless you need to. Dealerships want to sell you their services while your in the shop to make monet of course. So unles you have a performance issue I would stay away from it. You can do it yourself with over OTC products. For me, the only BG service I would perform would be the BG complete ATF exchange ONLY if that includes dropping the pan and replacing the filter and DOES NOT include any cleaning agents or conditioners...just exchange old ATF with new ATF. Using cleaning agents and not replacing the filter will cause problems.

[ February 03, 2004, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: jeepzj ]

A workmate had his Subaru serviced the other day at the local dealer.

The service was $120, with the addition of the $65 for 4 litres of M1 0W-40 that he paid at the Mobil depot.

They then wanted him to pay $80 for an injector cleaner additive (he picked up a bottle of techron on the way home for $14), and another $80 to have his airconditioning evaporator "disinfected"

Many of these cleaners are dependent upon being injected into the intake via the fuel injectors. A direct injected diesel engine doesn't have fuel injectors in the intake system. Essentially, the only thing going through a direct injected diesel engine intake system is air.. and in the case of the VW TDI you also get CCV oil mist and EGR soot.

The only true way to clean the TDI intake is to remove it and clean it. Ask the dealer to postpone their intake cleaning service unless they're going to take the plumbing off and clean it and drain the intercooler also.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:

The only true way to clean the TDI intake is to remove it and clean it. Ask the dealer to postpone their intake cleaning service unless they're going to take the plumbing off and clean it and drain the intercooler also.

That's as I suspected, as I read the TDI club site and I have not seen or heard of anyone cleaning the intake without taking it off.

Thanks for your input.

You know the folks who charge crazy money for "Exterior Protection", "Undercoating" or just plain old "Added Dealer Markup" ... they do not only work in the new car department. They are busy in the service shop selling overpriced and/or unneeded services as well.

John

BG sponsors a local car talk show here, pure BS IMO all they want to do is sell BG flushes and additives to solve every problem a caller has.

Unless you are having a problem save your money, let the dealer get his boat payment from someone else!

Around here, BG sells the two small cans packaged together; an engine flush and an oil additive.

IMHO, there is nothing really special in either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back