Comfortaire vs, Sleep Number vs, Dream Number

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing 3 competitors in this market. Sleep Number is the overpriced one, with expensive store front in the mall.

Comfortaire seems to have been in the market longer than Sleep Number. Dream Number seems to be the latest one to the game.

I've eliminated my choice to air, I just don't think I'm cut out for memory foam. Now, I need some insight into the vendors. Any experiences... good or bad?

Both Comfortaire and Dream Number offer a 60 or 90 day in house trial period with free shipping both ways.

According to Consumer Report, TempurPedic is the best, then a spring based mattress (forgot the brand) then Sleep Number coming the third.

I, myself, went with the over priced sleep number. I figured I'll still be moving several more times before finding a permanent place. Thus, light weight is important, hence the air based mattress and went with SN before I saw the CR and in small town where choice is limited.

They have 30 days test drive since the day you receive it. If you call in after a week or two, they would extend the test drive another 30 days.

I've had it since mid-Jan '12, have been very happy with it and sleep like a baby. There have been days I can't sleep but i don't think it was the bed. Most of the time I sleep really well and more rested than my 12+ yrs spring mattress.

I don't know first hand...but a friend got a Sleep Number a few months back and had to take it back. Said it felt like sleeping on a blow up air mattress...I'm not sure what they went to after that though...

Me and the wife love our sleep number bed.It is great when you hit the right inflation point.Saved me a few backaches.Sleep number offers a refurb on their site,that will save you a few dollars.

I have slept on the Sleep number and all night all I did was play with the numbers in order to find the comfortable number. Could not.

The best mattress I found is the Westin Heavenly Sleep.

http://www.westin-hotelsathome.com/productGroup.aspx?mattress-box-spring

HB-124_lrg.jpg

Heavenly Mattress & Box Spring
Rejuvenate in plush serenity every night, and wake up each morning refreshed and ready for the day. That’s the Westin difference. This unique sleep experience is found in all Westin Hotels worldwide, and is available for your enjoyment at home. The Westin Heavenly mattress with its unique pillow-top design, provides the foundation for deep, calming sleep, while plush goose-down pillows, crisp cotton sheets, a cozy down blanket and fluffy duvet wrap you in comfort. Customize your bed and make it your own with linens in a choice of luxurious thread counts and blends.

The manual in the SN says to experiment with the number overnight, not just changing the number every 10-15 min. Too bad didn't work for you.

Also, don't cheap out by going with the cheaper one with less comfortable padding. From my research, lot of return are from one with less comfy padding. I recommend to go with a better padding within your budget. It really makes difference.

The wife and I have a Sleep Number. I'd rather have a 'real' mattress but she loves it, so we're keeping it. You know how that works...

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN
According to Consumer Report, TempurPedic is the best, then a spring based mattress (forgot the brand) then Sleep Number coming the third.

I, myself, went with the over priced sleep number. I figured I'll still be moving several more times before finding a permanent place. Thus, light weight is important, hence the air based mattress and went with SN before I saw the CR and in small town where choice is limited.

They have 30 days test drive since the day you receive it. If you call in after a week or two, they would extend the test drive another 30 days.

I've had it since mid-Jan '12, have been very happy with it and sleep like a baby. There have been days I can't sleep but i don't think it was the bed. Most of the time I sleep really well and more rested than my 12+ yrs spring mattress.

This

We went with the same and I sleep better/harder now than I ever have.

Best investment we have ever made. Tempurpedic that is.

Last edited:
I have to say that Comfortaire is definitely the superior choice of those beds. You are right about them being around for longer- because they are the original people who created the air bed and have been pioneers in the air bed technology. I have a Comfortaire bed and it's been EXCELLENT. If you don't like the memory foam this brand is a good option because it's not constricting and you don't feel like you can't move or get out of the bed. I follow sleeplikethedead.com and Comfortaire is always rated the top for air beds there from consumers. I've also read that they have the best customer service- and this has held true for me. They are easy to reach by phone and have been happy to answer my questions and just give me advice on how the bed should best work for me and my body type (I'm a larger person). I've not had any components break down on mine but I have heard that they are helpful too with replacing parts quickly if anything does have a fault. Can't beat that- my best advice, go for Comfortaire and talk to someone there to find the model that will suit your needs best! Won't regret it.

I got married last October. One of the first purchases we made as a couple was a bed.

Believe me when I tell you I researched everything there was to know about our possible choices. In the end I found that each maker and model had just as many complaints as compliments. Even the beds that were 'perfect' and lasted forever like the most expensive $4k Tempurpedic was met with complaints about being too pricey.

We tried out several beds, and decided we wanted the $3,000 Tempurpedic but we couldn't afford it at this time. We planned on buying a Restonic bed (Ashley furniture) but we were met with mixed reviews from different salesmen at different locations (sometimes the same location). Bottom line, every salesman had a pitch - and they were all different. Every mattress was on sale, and every mattress was in limited quantity. This went on for a couple months.

Our heads were spinning and about to explode, so we finally went shopping on Black Friday with the intention of buying a bed. We went to Comfort King where the guy told us that the mattresses were made on location and fed us a speel for 30 minutes; we went to Furniture Mart, Discount Beds, Ashley, Sears, Karl's, etc etc etc. We finally ended up back where we started at Ashley's and got a sleazeball salesman (not the guy we dealt with before). We asked him to leave us alone but he gave us one last opinion on what he would buy. We looked around and finally laid on a bed that we both liked. We jumped on it quick before we changed our minds. Of course it was the only one in stock (imagine that!). It was a good decision. All beds fail, all beds eventually wear out. People are going to complain no matter what, and people are going to praise no matter what.

So we ended up with the "top tier" Sealy PosturePedic pillowtop for $699. 'Normal' price was $1,599. WE enjoy it. The bed is comfy and hasn't developed any defects after almost a year of ownership. Trust me when I tell you that everyone's got an opinion and they're apt to share it with you. I took my parents' advice and went with this bed, we are not sorry.

In the end it's what works best for you. Lay on a bed and if it fits, buy it. Because if you go looking for reviews you will be discouraged out of that bed and encouraged to get a different bed, only to find out that bed 'sucks' too. And mattress salesmen are worse than car salesmen. Except with cars you know what model you're getting - with mattresses the models change names every 6 months. The model we got was called the 'Credo', but that doesn't matter because it goes under a different alias now. Like a criminal!

Fair warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back