Better to change oil hot or cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I used to drain hot & hoter but, with modern oils that hold particulate in suspension, I now drain warm. So after a normal run to the store, I come home and about an hour later I drain the oil and it is still mighty warm.

me too semi-hot 1 hr cool and 1 hr drain, also known to use jack on opposite side of drain plug to tilt and drain the bottom of oil pan

Always do it hot. The nitrile seal on the base of the oil filter will be more pliable and easier to remove than one that is cold and allowed to stick back onto the crankcase.

Also, more metals will still be in suspension and the oil will drain faster and more completely.

Also, before I start draining the oil I make sure that the oil filter isn't stuck, so if I have to take it to a dealer if I am desperate I can drive it there and they can put it up on a lift to struggle it off.

Never had the problem but I have read horror stories on this board about stuck on oil filters, so I make sure it can move an 1/8th of a turn before I drain.

Originally Posted By: volk06
You change it cold and all that oil has drained off of the components resulting in getting more oil, thus increasing the wear at the beginning of an oil change.

I had a guy tell me the same thing, that it wasn't good for the engine to have been drained cool and filled, then starting back up the parts wouldn't be proteceted. That doesn't make any sense to me. Every morning the car gets started after sitting for over 12 hours and having the oil drain down off of everything to the bottom of the pan. I'm pretty sure that's the exact same as an oil change while it's cool. Plus, it's not like oil actually drains off completely, it's oil!

Last edited:
Cold, hot, I don't care. Last change was cold, after 15 minutes, both still dribble a bit. Since the car is tilted the same angle and the same height, the amount that dribbles out isn't even enough to fill the smallest oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back