If you HAD to choose one gun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benelli shotgun. With proper loads (and interchangeable barrels) it will take any game on the planet, will work for trap and skeet (though not optimally) and performs bedside duty.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
If you could only own one over the counter gun. What would it be?

Handgun, Shotgun, or Rifle?

If I could only own one gun of any type, it would probably be a 4" or 6" 357 magnum 7 shot revolver, or a 9mm Semi-Auto.

the ability to get ammo and/or cost would be a consideration.

Last edited:
Id say a 6 inch 357 revolver.

You can shoot 38's or 357's, which allow you to protect yourself from any critters in most of the USA, hunt game, and dispatch hooligans.

I could however see myself picking a 357 lever gun for the extra power the longer barrel would create. But it would be more difficult to haul around all the time.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
thinking between 38 and 12 gauge....10/22 ruger gets a little interest.

Ruger 10/22 was my second choice but there just seem to be so many situations where a .22 just might not be enough...

The sturdy and ever reliable Remington 870 express magnum, it is a good all around weapon. Good for self defense and for hunting small to large game.

Hard to beat a 22, but if only one rifle I might go 357 bolt. Maybe 44 bolt. I have neither, but it'd depend upon just what I needed it for: putting holes in paper, meat on the table, pests six feet under, or zombies six feet under.

A 357Maximum might be nice. Run from 38 wadcutters up to a round that'll rival a 30-30 (inside of 100 yards, that is). Don't know if they made a bolt action in that, I've only seen the H&R conversions online.

My 20 gauge 870 express magnum. The slugs are .45 caliber, with proper loads you can take down anything. Lighter and less recoil than my 12 gauge. You have buckshot, bird shot, slugs (sabot), and home defense rounds, you cant get more universal than that. Unless you buy a judge!

Last edited:
for an all around hunting and defense gun. i would probably pick a semi auto 22 its not great at either but can do either is reasonably quiet if you need it to be and its cheap for ammo.

10/22 Stainless with a Butler Creek collapsible stock and 30rd magazines.

You can cock it for each shot and use CB Longs to hunt small game with and it is extremely quiet, shoot carp in shallow water with high velocity solids.

If you know where all the deer are in an area if you live there, you can drop a Velocitor down a deer's ear from a tree stand if you are desperate.

The ammo is dirt cheap and you can hold a hundred rounds in a shirt pocket. In a gun fight people you are shooting at will react to it as any other weapon, and people have studied it and you can easily kill someone out to 500 yards with one.

In times of desperation the ammo would have the highest trade value as it is a good small game cartridge that many people would be able to use, and that would make the bullets very valuable in trade.

The barrel almost never needs to be cleaned with good waxed bullets and is dead accurate with no recoil and with very little noise. If you are hunting in dark days you don't want the sound of a shot traveling, as it would tell others that there was something worth shooting at and they might seek you out and ambush you for your game. You avoid this with CB Long ammo or subsonics.

Also, by being such an abundant cartridge, even if you completely run out of ammo chances are you'd run into more so the gun wouldn't be completely worthless if you were out of ammo. And the rifle is compact and light, so it would still be easy to keep around.

1st choice: 12 ga shotgun, pump or auto.

2nd choice: .22 rifle, preferably automatic. (BTW, Falken- have you been peeking in the back corner of my closet?
wink.gif
)

TC Encore with one each:

Smooth shotgun barrel
Rifled shotgun barrel
30-06 or .308 rifle barrel
.223 or 22-250 rifle barrel
Muzzleload barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back