High speed spindle grease like in mower decks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older Gravely riding tractor with a 50 inch deck.
I am looking for the best grease (cartridges) I can get that doesn't wash out, stays in place, lasts, and does it's job!

Even though I say lasts, I change it about twice in the summer, because I am a firm believer in it "NEVER hurts"! These spindles are not cheap, not to mention the installation!

I was actually not aware of the different greases, so I used whatever Wall Mart or Tractor supply had so I can't tell you what it actually was.

There is no "SANE" way to degrease these spindles if what is suggested is not compatible with what's in there already.

I have been told not to use a Moly grease because it builds up on the spindle bearings and causes problems.

Therefore the problem. Suggestions for an awesome grease under these conditions? Please expound to your hearts content!

Last edited:
I'd use a good all-purpose lithium grease, personally. Just about any grease you buy that is labeled "all purpose" will be lithium based.

If I had to guess that's more than likely what's in the bearing now.

This is greased with a zerk fitting? The bearing is somewhat sealed and almost no water should get in unless you end up in a pond. I doubt Moly grease would be a problem, any grease will be fine. Its not a super high RPM shaft and its only minimal HP, so I would use up whatever you have. (Minimal being its not a 500 HP tractor).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back