RTV silicone or cork for my next oil pan gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1999 Nissan Frontier has developed a couple minor oil leaks that I'll be tackling soon. One of the leaks is from the oil pan gasket.

On this vehicle the oil pan originally was only sealed with RTV silicone. But, some companies have released cork replacement gaskets to use instead. The cost for either is similar, so that's not really a consideration.

I'm leaning towards trying the cork gasket, as it seems easier. Does anyone have an opinion between the two choices?

The Fel-Pro cork gaskets are available locally from Advance Auto for about $10.
3500225_fel_os30617c_pri_larg.jpg

I could use regular automotive silicone, or some companies offer a special kit for it. Here's an Aisin one at NAPA for about $12.
1156286.jpg

I got a very nice water pump gasket that was a gooey neoprene type substance. Fantastic, and it filled little scratches and voids that are inevitable from scraping off the old.

If that cork gasket is thick and gooey, go for it. I've seen some that were thin like paper (and probably were) that are just nasty to use.

I'm not particularly comfortable with how much gasket the holes take up: the thin parts around said holes look fragile.

Why not just go buy a paper fel-pro? Standard pressed paper gaskets work fine, i have 30 year old ones in service with no leaks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not just go buy a paper fel-pro? Standard pressed paper gaskets work fine, i have 30 year old ones in service with no leaks.

There isn't a paper gasket available for this application.

Fel-Pro and Victor Reinz offer cork replacements for the original RTV. So, cork or RTV silicone are my only choices.

Last edited:
I have a weeping factory form-a gasket, will opt for a gasket when its time. I poked around, all the way to the manufacturer to see if Fel-pro offered a rubber gasket for your car. They want cork on yours, rubber on mine. Wonder why.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I have a weeping factory form-a gasket, will opt for a gasket when its time. I poked around, all the way to the manufacturer to see if Fel-pro offered a rubber gasket for your car. They want cork on yours, rubber on mine. Wonder why.

Yeah, I looked through the catalog on Fel-Pro's website. Victor Reinz doesn't seem to have a good US website, but I poked around on their UK page.

It seems the cork gaskets are all that's available.

These gaskets are listed as cork/rubber. They just look like cork in the pictures, but I guess they somehow incorporate rubber, too. I don't know if there's a cork layer in the gasket or if it's a cork/rubber formula used.

And, I'm big on proper torquing, so factory specs will be followed. I have the factory service manual.

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb and leave the traditionalism behind. Forget the gasket and use an OEM grade RTV sealant. Permatex Right Stuff works great, much easier to use than a gasket, especially a cork gasket, and is ready for contact with oil in 4 minutes. I avoid cork gaskets like the plague, especially ones made by Victor-Reinz. I glued the pan on my sister-in-law's 2001 Nissan with the KA24E engine [similar to your '99 Frontier] with Right Stuff 4 years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop.

Are there no rubber/steel or rubber/platic torque limiting gaskets available?

Those are preferred.

If you go all RTV, just make sure that the surfaces are oil free so the RTV can adhere to the metal. Use acetone or alcohol for a final wipe down on all adhering surfaces. The factory has clean parts when they do this. Make sure yours are.

With a standard type of cork gasket, correct tightening is essential.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

There isn't a paper gasket available for this application.

Fel-Pro and Victor Reinz offer cork replacements for the original RTV. So, cork or RTV silicone are my only choices.

That being the case, they make rtv variants specifically for oil, gear oil, and similar apps. So find the one that matches tour oil pan app and use that. Should work.

If the factory used RTV I'd have to have a very good reason to not use the same means of sealing that pan to the block. Granted, their choice may have been influenced by cost or some other factor, but still. I'd also be inclined to find out what the Nissan dealers are using and price that before I went aftermarket. They may have a factory approved and precisely spec'd product for RTV that works best in that application versus a universal aftermarket solution. As already mentioned preparation is key to making RTV work properly, as well as some knowledge and good technique.

Keith

It's plausible the dealers use something that sets up in minutes so they can shove a car out of the bay and get the next one in. It may not be the best long term stuff compared to something with a longer cure time. That said it's hard to argue with permatex right stuff or ultra black.

If your pan is meant for RTV it might not have great reinforcing between the bolt holes so yeah go easy on the torquing.

Another option is neoprene or neoprene-over-steel if available for that application. Often these gaskets are called "reusable" but they are generally just GOOD. Kinda expensive.

If you're going to RTV-only route, don't use plain RTV. The ONLY form-in-place gasket worth a dime, IMO, is Permatex 'The Right Stuff.'

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Another option is neoprene or neoprene-over-steel if available for that application.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
Are there no rubber/steel or rubber/platic torque limiting gaskets available?

Those are preferred.

Again, there are no options that I can find other than the cork/rubber gaskets like those sold by Fel-Pro and Victor Reinz. This car used just RTV from the factory, and these are the only major gasket makers that offer an aftermarket replacement.

Rock Auto lists a 3rd choice by DNJ engine components. I've never used parts from this company. It's cheaper than the other options and appears in the picture to be a cork gasket also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back