Ford Fusion 2.3/5AT Reliability / Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Focus is having shifter cable issues again
frown.gif

Got a 2009 Fusion 2.3 as a loaner car.

I'm really impressed with this thing! It's the replacement for the "original" (1986-2007) Taurus.

This car is LEAGUES ahead of the "original" taurus!

The 2.3 is much more peppy than the 3.0 Vulcan, gets better mileage too, the 5AT shifts way better than the AX4S I had and the suspension on this car is great! No body roll for a midsize!

Interior, I really like the interior. It has all the features (nice OE radio, input jack, comfortable seats) in a nice, simple layout!

How is the reliability on these cars? I might actually consider one!

So far as I've ever heard the transmissions can have a "flare" problem where the trans acts as though it is slipping - I'm not sure if that dates back as far as 2009 but I know as of 2011 it hadn't been resolved completely.

Besides that they're solid. The 2.3L seems to be a heck of a good engine.

My 07 has been a very realible car. The only thing I have done to it was a water pump replacement a few months ago. We have driven this car to Florida 8 times and Maine just a few weeks ago. Another trip to Florida is coming up in 5 weeks. Very comfortable on long trips, and good MPG as well. I get 31-32 1/2 on Interstate driving.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
There is a NEW Taurus you know?

But the new taurus is much larger than the old taurus or fusion.

Originally Posted By: JRed
So far as I've ever heard the transmissions can have a "flare" problem where the trans acts as though it is slipping - I'm not sure if that dates back as far as 2009 but I know as of 2011 it hadn't been resolved completely.

Besides that they're solid. The 2.3L seems to be a heck of a good engine.

The shift flare problems are with the 6 speeds I think.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

The shift flare problems are with the 6 speeds I think.
But NOT the Aisin trans, rather the "joint" Ford/GM POS.

Yeah, they're bigger thank goodness. At least they're back to American family car size. I only know one person with the Fusion and nothing but good so far.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My 07 has been a very realible car. The only thing I have done to it was a water pump replacement a few months ago.

The long term results of your 0w20 10k OCI's are starting to show.
smirk.gif

I own a 2006 Mercury Milan 2.3/auto.
Just turned 170,000 miles.
Replaced the Brakes, Tires, Sparkplugs, Alt, Thermostat, Belt, Battey, air recharged. Oil changed every 5-8000 Q/S or PP
Trans fluid changed every 60,000 with Mobil 1 syn ATF.
Going to see just how long it will keep going.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
My 07 has been a very realible car. The only thing I have done to it was a water pump replacement a few months ago.

smirk.gif

You are right. Those 10,000 mile OCI's must be really hard on water pumps.

Seriously, I began using M1 back in the 1970's, and I used it as it was advertised back then, that is, 25,000 miles or 1 year OCI's. My usual OCI, until I retired back in 2001, was 18,000 to 20,000 miles. Of course, I added 2 or 3 quarts, but all of my cars stayed quiet and clean for up to 7 years and 140,000 miles. Since it became fashionable to call regular premium oils "synthetic", I would not advise anyone to do this nowadays.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

smirk.gif

You are right. Those 10,000 mile OCI's must be really hard on water pumps.

Seriously, I began using M1 back in the 1970's, and I used it as it was advertised back then, that is, 25,000 miles or 1 year OCI's. My usual OCI, until I retired back in 2001, was 18,000 to 20,000 miles. Of course, I added 2 or 3 quarts, but all of my cars stayed quiet and clean for up to 7 years and 140,000 miles. Since it became fashionable to call regular premium oils "synthetic", I would not advise anyone to do this nowadays.

I have one friend still doing 15-20K OCIs with M1 5-30 in a 99 Silverado. Another doing 15+K with 5-30EP in a Windstar van.

That's probably the most reliable combo in a Fusion. I had an 07, and it was excellent. The cartridge filter was a pain, but other than that, no quirks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back