Amsoil MTF/ Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I posted about changing out the FF in my M50D at 2000mi. and replacing it with Mobil 1 Syn. ATF. No improvement over the FF for notchy shifting. A couple guys on the Ford forums, and here, mentioned Amsoil MTF.

I got BITOG member Pablo(thanks) to send me some Amsoil MTF, and changed the fluid out now at 5500mi. After about 250 miles of driving, still can't tell any difference. I was told that this is normal for this tranny, but I have a hard head. Have over 2000 mi. boat towing now, will leave it alone for a 25,000mi. run

Would the magic honey Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS fully synthetic 75w90 be a candidate for your truck? I think it's a GL-4 and GL-5 spec'd fluid.

All I know is, this XT-M5-QS fluid is phenominal on our cars, a known super notchy [censored] shifting tranny and this stuff transformed it to click click smoove

So I'm assuming when everyone recommends Amsoil MTF they're referring to Manual Syncromesh Transmission fluid?

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Would the magic honey Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS fully synthetic 75w90 be a candidate for your truck?

No, much too thick for this application and could do damage! Use ATF or an MTF designed for manual transmissions that spec ATF.

Out of curiosity I called the dealer for a price on the Motorcraft Dual-Clutch Trans Fluid.

xt11qdc - $32.43 / litre

... ouch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aaviationkid
So I'm assuming when everyone recommends Amsoil MTF they're referring to Manual Syncromesh Transmission fluid?

Yes indeed. It's not the cure all, be all for ALL MT's requiring ATF - the viscosity is slightly more than AT at 100°C, but viscosity is not the issue, really - in that range. Some trannies are just notchy no matter the fluid, assuming mechanically all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back