DPF is gone, should I change my oil type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hessam
Does the Mobil-1 Turbo Disel/Truck 5w-40 (aka Delvac-1 5W40) meet the BMW LL-01 spec?
M1 only chose to cert 0w40 under LL01. LL01 piggybacks on top of A3/B4.

ok copy that, but so Mobil-1 5W-40 technically does not meet the LL01 certification, but could you use it in a car (2003 330XI) that calls for LL01 certification oil.
granted the owners manual is now several years old, but is specifically calls for BMW HP 5W-30 or Mobil-1 5W-30, or Mobil-1 5W-40 as the only approved oils. it does incdicated that they are continually researching other suitable synthetic oils, but specifically only recomend the 3 listed above.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
ok copy that, but so Mobil-1 5W-40 technically does not meet the LL01 certification, but could you use it in a car (2003 330XI) that calls for LL01 certification oil.

I think you certainly could use it, but for the same price M1 0W40 has better viscometrics, better TBN, and the approval. I see no reason to use it where 0W40 is (more) available. Except if you already have a stash of the TDT.

Charlie

not a big stash, but I do have about 4 quarts of M1 TDT left from a while ago, I just picked up 5 quarts of M1 0W-40 and mobil-1 filter on special for 32 bucks from Autozone. I guess I could mix them together since it should take about 7.5quarts for a full oil and filter change?

I suspect the formulations are quite similar: lots of dispersant, lots of detergent (though based on TBN 0W40 has a bit more) - TDT is a mixture of Mg and Ca based, 0W40 is Ca based - not a problem, and the same amount of ZDDP (TDT has about 10% more acc. to Mobil's data), similar viscometrics and I suspect similar base oils.
I've said before that if were in the very unlikely position of having to buy PCMO topup oil for my Unimog at an auto parts store (I carry ~10L of D1 SHC in the truck), I'd use the 0W40.

Charlie

I don't see how you would ever run out of D1 with a 10L jug in the back of your ride; unless your engine is burning up massive amounts of oil.

Nice fleet by the way. specially the 79 landcruiser and the 01 325XI. is your 325XI manual or A/T, and have you ever changed the transmission fluid in it?

I burn 1L/2500 mi, which is 0.09% fuel consumption - not much for a HD diesel. On my trip to Australia I used 8.5L in 21500 mi before I probably unnecessarily changed it. It has a 29L sump.
In the 01 BMW I've had the dealer change it once, they undoubtedly used some form of ATF. It's a manual trans.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
I burn 1L/2500 mi, which is 0.09% fuel consumption - not much for a HD diesel. On my trip to Australia I used 8.5L in 21500 mi before I probably unnecessarily changed it. It has a 29L sump.
In the 01 BMW I've had the dealer change it once, they undoubtedly used some form of ATF. It's a manual trans.

Charlie

ATF for manual trans....I thought manual trans takes MTF fluid for manual trans?

Check the Redline Oil site, they have a good rundown on recommended fluids for BMWs. The manual trans usually takes a GL4 fluid with the viscosity of an ATF. Ford recommends Mercon ATF for the ZF5 diesel pickup trans, though IMHO Redline MTL 70W80 is better.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You can't even find CI-4 plus oils in the us. We only have CJ-4 is supposed to have greater wear protection than CI-4plus.

Just an FYI... Valvoline Classic Blue CI-4 is available in the US too. Check the Valvo website....

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Check the Redline Oil site, they have a good rundown on recommended fluids for BMWs. The manual trans usually takes a GL4 fluid with the viscosity of an ATF. Ford recommends Mercon ATF for the ZF5 diesel pickup trans, though IMHO Redline MTL 70W80 is better.

Charlie
Interesting-I run Redline D4 (ATF) in my '89 ZF-5 manual, but it seems noisy-I'll try the MTL next.

Martin,

When I was back in Scotland four years ago, the diesel had a sulphur content of 50 ppm to meet Euro 4. The ULSD had a sulphur content of 10 ppm to meet the Euro 5 spec. Worst case scenario it could still be the same, but I remember efforts were being made to drop it down further to 3 - 5 ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back