It's not getting any darker.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... on a 7HP Kohler walk behind, I'm surprised that the oil ISN'T darkening at all... It's got that Yellow dip-stick that's hard to read...til the oil darkens up a little... and it's staying really clear looking.... I don't suspect a problem.... but I'm not used to oil staying this clear.

It's Wolf's Head 10w-30 "Super Duty" Conventional.... not anything I would consider special. It's been in there half the season.

I really use my riding lawn mower and for 3 years now, all I have been doing is changing the oil filter. Amsoil commercial oil in the 30w flavor is my oil of choice. Still amber/semi clear. I really need to do a UOA just to ease my mind....

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
oil color does not indicate the condition it is in

That's true, but I found the same thing over the years with my Kohler Command and Kohler Courage V-twins. The oil would stay clear/golden for a very long time.

IMO, OHV/OHC engines run cleaner, so the oil doesn't blacken as quickly.

Joel

Basically means the engine has good ring seal with very little blowby... Also that carbueration is good, not running too rich...

My old worn out Briggs would darken the oil within three cuttings, while last fall's change of M1 0W-40 in the Honda is still so clean it's hard to read when hot, so I check it cold...

True, but even a freshly rebuilt tip-top Kohler K-series will blacken the oil within a few uses.

Like you say, it's the fuel loading. K's or any big flat head have to run fairly rich to keep from melting down.

Joel

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I have had the same oil in my push mower for 7 years, and I'm never going to change it.

lol - I guess I'll stick to annual changes for my Honda HRX. Though, I use left over oils from the motorcycles. Rotella 15w-40, Rotella 5w-40, Amsoil 20-50 are the 3 oils it's had since I bought it new.
I noticed last season it took longer for the Amsoil to darken.
Just did the generator with Rotella 5w-40 this last weekend.
Just the oil left I happen to grab - no matter if the weight/grade isn't manufacturer grade.

I re-use the old oil from my Troy-Bilt B&S in my Murray 3.5 B&S.

The oil comes out of the Troy-Bilt as clear as when I put it in.

The wretched old Murray blackens it almost instantly. It's just used on the greenbelt behind my house for rodent and snake abatement and to prevent the coyotes from having a hiding place in the tall grass. It keeps on running. Smokes a little but keeps going. Doesn't seem to "mind" getting used oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back