5SFE!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the 5SFE engines (pre sludger 1997-2003) hard on oil? Its from a 1996 Toyota Camry so I think it did not have the sludge issues.

96 is one year before it started (according to reports). The sludge range is 97-01. But any year can cause a problem if not maintained. Main issue was a bad PCV design. Get rid of the snaking PCV hose and replace with a straight one if it has that. Hard on oil is hard to determine. They are good engines, will be fine on a synthetic. Mobil 1 seems to be the oil of choice for Toyota's. The new Toyota brand syn is XOM based. Good UOA's.

i have a 96, I use any random oil found and when i had the valve covers off it was clean! I would guess its a good motor.

I had a 5sfe in a '95 camry that was loaded with hard coal-like burnt on "sludge" built up on everything under the valve cover. It was a neglected engine, with a stuck pcv valve non-working thermostat, bad radiator, broken oil pressure sender, etc. It ran like a top up until it had some sort of catastrophic mechanical engine failure.

I think that these are good engines and if they have regular (3-5k mi.) oil changes they are fine. It is pretty easy to pull the valve cover and see for yourself if you have any sludge under there. Plus the valve cover gasket is a common source of leaks in these engines and may need replacing anyway.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Are the 5SFE engines (pre sludger 1997-2003) hard on oil? Its from a 1996 Toyota Camry so I think it did not have the sludge issues.

5SFE is the V6, correct?

Funny, always see the number/letters, but no one says if it's the 4 or 6......

its the 4 cylinder!

Well, then Blackstone got it wrong as my 4 banger UOA has the other code.

From experience, I can say the 5S-FE loves PU Euro 5W-40.
thumbsup2.gif

I think they're so-so on oil.

I have an old 93 camry wagon with 257,000 and still runs great. It's had 4000 - 5000 mile ocis it's entire life with all different name brand oils in 5w-30 or 10w-30.

I replaced the valve cover gasket a few months ago and it was so-so under the cover, some deposits, but nothing crazy. Also, I 've never touched the valves to adjust them and they're perfectly quiet.

My only complaint, and it's minor, is that it leaks a bit of oil; and messes up the driveway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back