Gun Butter... any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo

So far no rust on the silicone treated shafts. Frankly the WD-40 shaft looks worse than the control.

Wow that is surprising. WD-40 is usually a pretty good rust stopper. The corrosion test in that link on the other page shows wd-40 doing a pretty good job at stopping rust.

The silicone spray I tested most recently is the CRC brand so maybe the solvents in it are why the metal rusted so fast in my last test with it.

Hey guys!
What grease do you think would work best for this specific application/situation?
To lube and mostly PROTECT from wear, the frame rails of a sig sauer p229. The frame is anodized aluminum and the slide is steel. I was using the suplied tw25b but it didnt protect it and it also doesnt seem to be a very good lube not sure why i has such a great rep and high price? Anyway, The frame rails have worn down to bare metal in the front under the rail where it takes the most friction force.
So my question is which grease has enough of the correct combinations of ingredients and properties to best protect the underside of the aluminum rails from wearing away any further and still alow for proper cycling of the slide?

Btw it doesnt need to be a gun specific product unless it just happens to be the best for this. I know that many gunsmiths use food service grease, engine assembly grease or oil, auto grease, industrial, etc.
In fact i believe many firearms marketed oils & grease are just re-labeled products that they charge a lot more for. Lol
Thanks!

Wow this started a bit of an argument. I was just wondering if there was any testing done on it, or perhaps a lot of use by someone.

The store I work for is also a national distributor for Gun Butter and was wondering if it was worth it to recommend to customers. I like to have a good idea of what I'm trying to sell so that I can give an honest answer about it. Good or bad. For instance I usually try to stop people from buying Hoppes oil since it's really just mineral oil at twice the price. Or Glasers for general use since it's not all that great of a round except in certain specific applications.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: Pablo

So far no rust on the silicone treated shafts. Frankly the WD-40 shaft looks worse than the control.

Wow that is surprising. WD-40 is usually a pretty good rust stopper. The corrosion test in that link on the other page shows wd-40 doing a pretty good job at stopping rust.

The silicone spray I tested most recently is the CRC brand so maybe the solvents in it are why the metal rusted so fast in my last test with it.

Overdue to post my results:

First of all - The Amsoil MP and WD-40 probably had the least rust and about the same amount of bright orange, dusty looking surface rust, even though the WD-40 looked the worst. Both cleaned up pretty easy with a rag and some spray lube, no pitting.

The control looked pretty nasty, and had some very minor pitting started. I used some MP and WD to clean it with some green al oxide pads. Looked fine and was useable with some elbow grease.

Now here is were it gets weird. The two shafts I sprayed with Amsoil Silicone spray looked good - as in no rust - from the top view. But when I picked them up, they were a bit crusty on the very bottom where the shaft was touching the tray. Like a dark red crystalline substance had formed. It cleaned off with a rag, easily and no pitting. Not sure what to make of it some, maybe Si-Fe compound.

So my conclusion, use Amsoil MP for a light firearm oil when called for. Use Amsoil Silicone spray only on polymers when you need a plastic lube.

Most important - none of the products tested are adequate for long term storage rust prevention.

Next time I'll take pictures. I just didn't have the time and we actually needed the shafts. I want to try Amsoil HD MP and some other heavier lubes - I just don't think any thin film lube will protect well outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back