Michelin Hydroedge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires with about 30,000 miles on them. Three have half the tread depth remaining and one that is approaching replacement due to wear. These tires have a 90,000 mile tread wear warranty. Correct pressure has been monitored and kept at recommended psi. They have been rotated at 6K and the wear is even across the tires with no indication of alignment issues. They are on a 2008 Mercury Sable. I'm really disappointed in their wear performance.

Last edited:
If the wear isn't even on that tire I doubt they will warranty it because like the other poster said it sounds like the alignment was messed up. Usually the alignment being off affects the other tire on that side too though.

Originally Posted By: dparm
When's the last time you had an alignment? Are you good about checking tire pressure every week?

Have not had an alignment as the wear is even across all tires indicating no alignment issues. Yes with regard to checking psi.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
If the wear isn't even on that tire I doubt they will warranty it because like the other poster said it sounds like the alignment was messed up. Usually the alignment being off affects the other tire on that side too though.

Depth gauge check across all tires indicates very even wear. There's no wear pattern that would indicate over/under inflation or incorrect alignment.

The one tire having less tread than the other 3 would seem to indicate a problem somewhere (bad alignment, lack of rotation, bad suspension).

Edit: I didn't want to come off harsh, I just don't want you to burn out four new tires. I'd also be disappointed in the tire life (for what was probably an expensive tire). Keep in mind that some vehicles go through tires fast (minivans spring to mind).

Last edited:
Ford focus as well comes to mind with quick tire wear, but I am with the others in saying that something must be off a bit to have one wear out faster....now it figuring out what it is before it eats all your tires.

I would contact Michelin, I have found their Customer Service to be quite good.

One tire on a car wearing out without uneven wear is very strange, I'm sure that they will ask you to take it to a Michelin dealer but if its evenly worn I can't imagine they would not take care of you.

BTW I have a set of these on a Civic and certainly can't complain about wear (although since they are directional they are a bit of a hassle to rotate)

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The one tire having less tread than the other 3 would seem to indicate a problem somewhere (bad alignment, lack of rotation, bad suspension).

I agree.

I have a set of Hydro Edge on my BMW currently and have found them to be reasonably long wearing so far.
What I don't like about them is their harsher than average ride quality.

I have heard these tires tend to wear rapidly at first Like yours, and then the rest of the tread seems to last forever as you near the 90k mark. So your wear sounds completely normal except for the one tire. These are directional tires so it would most likely be an issue with the suspension on one of the two positions you have had it mounted. Does the vehicle primarily apply power to that side of the vehicle?

Last edited:
I'm running directionals too. Hate them, they wear funny, cant do a 4 wheel rotation. Car has to be perfect in every way to use them. horrible in snow. Never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back