Chevy Cruze (Diesel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else thought of purchasing one. I need a new car with great mpg for sales calls. I haven't owned a gas vehicle since 1986. I've had great service from my Dmax (1X @ dealer for EGR motor). Presently the Dmax has 160K+. But how are GMs cars holding up?

I'd consider one if I'm in the market. It would be a tough argument not to go with a vw or an MB E class or BMW 335d, all of which are in my price range.

But a us diesel sends a statement that I like to support, and the cruze is a great little car.

What will the specs be???

Duramax was a good engine...hopefully the Cruze is the same.

The cost will likely be high for repairs at first but well maintained should be a good vehicle.

I'd buy one used if I could but I somehow know I'd get a car that was ragged by someone with no knowledge of how to drive a diesel, lol.

Auto only??!?

I'll buy the e320 or the 335d if I want an automatic car. No thanks!

Why they can't build a compact gearbox to handle the torque is beyond me.

Yet another example of an American car that I'd but if I could get what I wanted, but I can't.

I will believe it when I see the diesel for sale.

That all being said for whatever reason you have to pay a premium to get a diesel engine in a vehicle in current offererings(BMW,MB,VW). IMHO pure profit for better MPG and different power curve.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Auto only??!?

Yet another example of an American car that I'd but if I could get what I wanted, but I can't.

It's a shame, since a 6-speed manual that can handle the power is under the hood of the Verano linked to the 2.0T gas engine.

FWIW, my Cruze Eco MT does get about 36-38 mpg at 75 mph. It'll do much better at 55-60 mph, where 50+ mpg is common.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I will believe it when I see the diesel for sale.

That all being said for whatever reason you have to pay a premium to get a diesel engine in a vehicle in current offererings(BMW,MB,VW). IMHO pure profit for better MPG and different power curve.

I wonder what the EPA qualification cost is versus the number sold. If you can sell a 3.2, 3.0 or whatever other ubiquitous engine exists out there with a ton of certs already done and hundreds of thousands sold in the US market, I have to wonder what the per unit cost is for EPA quals vs the diesel.

Plus the amortization of training, tools, etc.

Plus the build cost difference.

I doubt there is a huge premium that is just profit after all is said and done.

When you pay $5k for a domestic diesel pickup, how much of that is the engine, engineering, etc., versus profit?

Ahhh, the elusive new diesel. They've been vaporware for so long from so many different makes, I will once again believe this is real when private citizens are able to purchase, title, plate, insure & drive them legally from most any Chevrolet dealership.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Well other than the fact that you cannot buy one, they are probably a good car.

Can't buy one here, in North America. The Cruze with a 1.7 or 2.0 diesel is available overseas.

The biggest argument against a Cruze diesel is the Cruze Eco manual transmission. It already can beat its EPA estimates silly if one cares to, and doesn't need premium to do it (although I put premium in mine because it's chiptuned).

But a cruze diesel should be better than a cruze eco in every way.

The AT is a liability I wouldnt accept, thus Ill have to keep shopping German cars.

But a 1.7L diesel cruze will have far more torque than the eco, and should yield a good 6-8MPG higher.

It's plausible the EPA is making them run an automatic to fight NOx that forms from lugging-- we all like to lug to save fuel, don't we?

Or it could (also) have enough drive by wire hooey going on that it needs a transmission to play dumb and take the rap for it driving weird. Are these big sellers overseas?

I wonder if the diesel likes lugging as much as we think it does (or did). My TDi is not a big fan of running below 2k--1.5k is ok, under light throttle. Mash the pedal at 1.5k in 5th gear (45mph) and it'll just make a death rattle. [A guess, as I usually downshift long before that.] Maybe the 1.7 likes lugging even less.

Meanwhile, I've watched my wife lug her 2.5L Toyota NA gasser at 1k up a hill in second, with a single complaint from the motor.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Auto only??!?

It's a shame, since a 6-speed manual that can handle the power is under the hood of the Verano linked to the 2.0T gas engine.

FWIW, my Cruze Eco MT does get about 36-38 mpg at 75 mph. It'll do much better at 55-60 mph, where 50+ mpg is common.

Thanks for the feedbck on your ECO MT. Any problems so far?That would be an option if the diesel is put on hold.

Originally Posted By: ottomatic
Auto only??!?

Thanks for the feedbck on your ECO MT. Any problems so far?That would be an option if the diesel is put on hold.

I've had only minor problems in 28k miles. The transmission was shifting oddly by 18k miles, so I swapped out the fluid for Amsoil Synchromesh. This made the shifting much better, and more consistent. The trunk switch did fail, and was replaced under warranty. The trunk opens by the key fob too, so that was an annoyance only. Oh, and some small, intermittent rattles that I fixed myself since the dealer "couldn't reproduce" or "we hear it, but haven't a clue how to fix it so we won't fix it".

Besides that, I'm still enjoying this car quite a bit. It's pretty quick, and still gets 50+ mpg when driven between 55-60 mph on the interstate. It's also comfortable for me for extended periods.

Auto only??!?

I wonder if you can buy it in Mexico? I know someone who just bought a VW in Mexico and drove it back because VW didn't sell the car he wanted here.

Originally Posted By: supton
I wonder if the diesel likes lugging as much as we think it does (or did). My TDi is not a big fan of running below 2k--1.5k is ok, under light throttle. Mash the pedal at 1.5k in 5th gear (45mph) and it'll just make a death rattle. [A guess, as I usually downshift long before that.] Maybe the 1.7 likes lugging even less.

Meanwhile, I've watched my wife lug her 2.5L Toyota NA gasser at 1k up a hill in second, with a single complaint from the motor.

I dont think my brother ever goes over 2k RPM in his 11 TDI golf. He gets around 53 Highway and 43-45 in DC traffic.

Meant to say "without a complaint".

Interesting; we'll see how his '11 TDi does in a few years. Used to be, the older TDi's would gunk up unless driven hard. Soot from the exhaust gas (from EGR) combined with oil vapors (CCV) would plug up the intake manifold. Things have gotten vastly better with ULSD though. There were issues with the turbo also, and ring sealing... This new one, it has a DPF, and I wonder if it has to kick on more often due to light loading or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back