What's different about MAF Sensor cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's so different about MAF sensor that it requires a special cleaner? Can I just spray some carb cleaner on it?

No you can't. Better off not doing it at all. Carb cleaner leaves a solvent behind that to some extent fouls the MAF sensor. And its solvents are too harsh. MAF cleaner is like a electrical cleaner. Very clean, evaporates. You can use MAF cleaner for it all, including cleaning the TB. If its a modern car with a TB/MAF, carb cleaner should be in the trash.

Sometimes a MAF is so fouled by dirt/gum, only carb cleaner or similar will clean it... In that case the MAF sensor should be removed from it's housing and cleaned by using the cleaner on a swab...

In a pinch I once cleaned one by spitting on it and wiping with a paper towel... Probably half dozen years later, that meter is still in service...

MAF cleaner leaves no residue but is gentle on the sensors. Other cleaners can leave residue or damage the precious-metal probe.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Sometimes a MAF is so fouled by dirt/gum, only carb cleaner or similar will clean it... In that case the MAF sensor should be removed from it's housing and cleaned by using the cleaner on a swab...

In a pinch I once cleaned one by spitting on it and wiping with a paper towel... Probably half dozen years later, that meter is still in service...

Be very, very careful if you clean by hand on a swab. Those are very fine wires suspending it. Breaking one is easy to do. Then you have a $100 - $1000 (yes some cost that much new) bill.

Best to use dedicated MAF spray. Carb cleaner is for carbs.

Last edited:
Even though some electrical contact cleaners say "leaves no residue", they also state that they leave a lubricant [for tuners and pots]! So avoid them.

Dedicated MAF cleaner is best. Why? Safe for parts and no residue.

Can carb or brake cleaner be used? If the MAF is really bad, any cleaning is going to help. But unless they are shooting at you, get the real thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: TFB1

Be very, very careful if you clean by hand on a swab. Those are very fine wires suspending it. Breaking one is easy to do. Then you have a $100 - $1000 (yes some cost that much new) bill.

Best to use dedicated MAF spray. Carb cleaner is for carbs.

Excepting for the paper towel job, I've used a swab on every one I've cleaned and that's at least a couple dozen... As long as one doesn't go at it like the proverbial bull in a china shop, no harm will come to it...

Touch it and it's ruined is mostly a farce...

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Yes. We use that for some of our electronics in one of my businesses specifically because it's fairly gentle and leaves no residue.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Even though some electrical contact cleaners say "leaves no residue", they also state that they leave a lubricant [for tuners and pots]! So avoid them.

Can carb or brake cleaner be used? If the MAF is really bad, any cleaning is going to help. But unless they are shooting at you, get the real thing.

...and it's not THAT expensive. 1 can should last someone at home for many vehicles and many uses.

Only use the product for that purpose and don't waste when cheaper charb or intake cleaner could be used, on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back