E10 Fuel Additives That Fight Corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this article at a library yesterday. Very interesting. They did a test with E10 using various metals then another using E10 contaminated with a small amount of saltwater to simulate what might happen with contaminated fuel. Test motors were small marine outboards. Specifically they were interested in preventing aluminum pitting in carburators.

Seafoam did very well and was recommended. So did Biobor & Quickstor.

Interesting, but unless something crazy happens the water in gas is from condensation which is pure distilled water.

I would certainly expect Mercury to make a good product.

But the problem most of us worry about is phase separation. In small engines its more of the gumming up, etc the carb bowl and jets. The same problem we had before E10, but now worse.

They used saltwater as it's more corrosive and they frequently test things in a marine environment.

The article discussed phase separators vs. corrosion inhibitors and did not recommend anything claiming to 'dissolve water into gas' so it would not separate. Don't remember further details though.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I would not use E10 in amy marine application

Then you wouldn't be able to use a boat/jetski/etc... here because we have no non-ethanol blended fuel available to us. There is a little regular gas available at a few airfields around the state but you can't just go there and buy it. I believe it can only be used for planes/helicopters. Ethanol has replaced MTBE as an emmisions additive and we are required to use it in all gas for all uses( apparantly planes/helicopters are exempt ).

I have used Startron since E10 hit our pumps and have had no issues with my boat or yard equipment with gas up to a year old+.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Then you wouldn't be able to use a boat/jetski/etc... here because we have no non-ethanol blended fuel available to us. There is a little regular gas available at a few airfields around the state but you can't just go there and buy it. I believe it can only be used for planes/helicopters. Ethanol has replaced MTBE as an emmisions additive and we are required to use it in all gas for all uses( apparantly planes/helicopters are exempt ).

I have used Startron since E10 hit our pumps and have had no issues with my boat or yard equipment with gas up to a year old+.

Marinas should all be offering pure gas for sale; All in my area do at least. I was in Buffalo NY a few weeks ago, and filled up at a Delta Sonic car wash and even they offered non-ethanol gas at one pump.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Marinas should all be offering pure gas for sale; All in my area do at least. I was in Buffalo NY a few weeks ago, and filled up at a Delta Sonic car wash and even they offered non-ethanol gas at one pump.

Haven't seen anything but E10 at marinas here. As said above airfields seem to be the only place with regular gas. Again, it is emmissions mandated here as well.

Last edited:
At Lake Powell all of the Marinas are selling E10 gas. Spent a total of three weeks boating on Lake Powell this summer and fall and for both the houseboat and my personal boat it was E10 gas. I have started adding the Stabil Marine (blue dye bottle) to each boat tank of gas as a preventive measure. According to Stabil their Marine Formula Ethonal Treatment Fuel stabiler has additional corrosion protection and more fuel system cleaners.

You do not need any additive for E10 to prevent corrosion unless the introduction of salt water into the gas is possible. Fresh E10 has all the additives you need! Stabilizer is a good idea for long term storage following proper procedures recommended by the motor vender. Many additives create problems such as phase separation and promote sludge formation. Sad but true.

We have a choice where I boat- E10 is much cheaper, so when I know I'm going to burn through a tankful pretty quickly, I use the cheap stuff. If it's going to sit a long time or into storage, we fill with 100% gas. No issues after 3 seasons so far, though we're in fresh water and I'm no chemist.

I do not recomend that anyone use E10 in you're boat or lawn equipment. You're auto gas tanks are sealed, most of the others are not, allowing some moisture in. All the additives won't help except when you use the boat all the time. Let it sit to long and the problem will arise. A friend ran a 90 hp Yamaha on E10 foe eight years, all was well and then it lost a cylinder. Tore it down and the motor was in need of rebuild. Our mechanic (a Yamaha pro) said slowly over time the carbs get nasty from this stuff, and lean out the engine. You don't notice till it is to late. Possibly a lot of folks will be fine, but I chose not to use E10. Check a website Puregas.org lor locations of non ethanol stations in the U.S.

Last edited:
Latest Bassmaster magazine had a OK article on gas additives...
Seafoam is a old formula that seems to work... easy to get...
Stabil has a good rep... easy to get, (rebate??)
Mercury has 3 additives that are not that easy to find (for me), they can be pricey...
I use a mix of all 3... every fillup, add a different one...
I have eth free gas 200 yds from my house... still use the additives...

Puergas.org... good info but a word of caution... info is from users... you may show up and they may not have any... call ahead... I have a trail of stations all thru upstate ny so If I am on the road, I can fill the boat if need be... optimax runs great, not a peep...

I keep 5 gallon jugs of eth free gas handy... very nice to not drag boat to gas station...

The best product on the market is Yamalube Ring Free Plus. I have been using it with REC90 for 5 years not a problem. Even using it in all my lawn equipment, with no issues.

ethanol equalizer is a great product it is made by liquid performance it will dissolve water in the fuel system and fight corrosion.
i tested it with half filled steel 5 gallon can of 87 E10 treated with the product it was in storage for 1 year and the gas was still fresh no corrosion in the can and no water was present. much better product than stabil marine or startron.

LQP-0765_xl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back