I need a new (to me) bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have started riding a bike again at 27 after probably 15 years of not being on one. I have my old mountain bike that I put some nice road tires on but the old girl is tired.

I bought a Schwinn DSB at Wal-Mart but quickly returned it after discovering the front derailleur on it had serious issues. A quick google search confirmed many other people had problems with it as well.

So, I need a new (or used) bike. I would like to keep the price around $250 to keep my wife happy but could spring for $500 if I promise the soul from my next life to her as well.

We spend 25% of our time in our neighborhood and 75% of our time on the local bike paths. Yearly mileage is low at maybe 500. I don't want a full on road bike but my mountain bike is not cutting it. That is what I liked about the Schwinn DSB, it was half way in between but built to a Wal-Mart price point and standards (ie: junk).

Your guidance is appreciated.

Forgot to mention I am 5'10.5" tall with about a 29.5" in seam. (Yes, I have short legs.)

Maybe its just me,but in the early 90s they made some decent bikes....when I say "they" I mean just about everybody.I bought a new "Leeworld Mountain Sport" 18 speed(do a Google of that rare beast) in the early 90s,never used it that much,but its held up well over the years.The original tires arent even dry rotted! Back then it was considered "cheap" as opposed to the high end names (Univega,Mongoose etc),but I'm sure its light years ahead of Wal Mart models today.

I used to have a Trek 7.1 FX. It was a hybrid, which seems to be what you're looking for. 700c road bike rims, slightly wider tires and a flat bar.

Here's a pic of it outfitted with a rack and some other stuff. I was happy with it, but I switched to only road bikes. Flat bars don't do it for me anymore.
Trek71.jpg

Depending on your area, you might not have too many choices. Check Craigslist every day and see what pops up, as that will determine what you can get. If you don't live in a large metro area, you'd better have a large range of bikes, as there's a small chance the very bike you're looking for will pop up in your size.

Also, you said your current bike is "tired," but what does that mean? Does it need a tune up? Dropping $40 - $50 on a tuneup could go a along way towards making it more enjoyable while you look for another bike. But, if the bike needs significant parts replaced, then just a tuneup might not be possible.

Last edited:
I got this GT Transeo hybrid last year for a little over $400 from Performance Bike. It's light and I've been happy with it so far.

P1060358.jpg

There is a Trek 7.1 FX locally on Craigslist for $450 with a recent 'tune up' from a local reputable bike shop. But it is a 20" bike and I am pretty sure I need a 22.5".

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Also, you said your current bike is "tired," but what does that mean? Does it need a tune up? Dropping $40 - $50 on a tuneup could go a along way towards making it more enjoyable while you look for another bike. But, if the bike needs significant parts replaced, then just a tuneup might not be possible.

The pedals have a slight 'clunk' in them now. Plus, something is starting to squeak in the front.

If a 'tune-up' is $40 or $50, I would rather put that towards a new bike. The mountain bike is big and heavy.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
There is a Trek 7.1 FX locally on Craigslist for $450 with a recent 'tune up' from a local reputable bike shop. But it is a 20" bike and I am pretty sure I need a 22.5".

$450 is a bad deal. That's about the same price as MSRP for a new one.

I think the MSRP is $469 now, but my local shops are charging a little less than that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back