Deere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any Deere 544 UOA's? I'm curious what the abnormal number for iron is?

I'm not sure what oil this unit has in it other than it is a chevron product. I do not know how many hours are on the oil listed in the sample. The oil has been changed and the fill is Chevron Delo 400 15w40 LE.

The unit is:
John Deere
544E TC
hour meter says 12306.

Here is the only UOA I have on the unit. The Iron is what i'm wondering about.

Last edited:
I don't really know where some of these "abnormal" numbers are generated from, to be honest. All the wear metals are set 1 integer above some easy to remember increment, so I can only assume they allow "up to 50ppm" but then when you get "51" ppm, it becomes "abnormal" for Fe? Although, Tn and Ni are odd limits. Doesn't really matter; just conversation. These limits speak to condemnation levels. I would see them as conservative overall and reasonably useable. The Fe does seem to be a bit low for condemnation to me, but then each person has a different threshold for what concerns them. Most major diesel engine OEMs would see the Fe limit higher; 75 - 150ppm depending upon OEM.

As for the wear rates, we'll not be able to decipher those unless the exposure duration is known.

Overall, I'd say everything was in good shape. If you are going to accept their pre-set condemnation limits, then you probably OCId at just about the right time, because the Fe was approaching their chosen limit.

Though, from my perspective, with all other metals being very low, and the TBN strong, the oil certainly could have gone longer. 50ppm of Fe is a really low limit IMO, and could probably be safely extended to perhaps 100ppm?

Last edited:
I will monitor it for awhile to see what I get. I have an option to go into my analysis account and set condemnation levels. Maybe I should just set that up to 100. I assume that those abn settings are set to averages for the particular make and model of equipment?

Thanks. I printed that report out and put in a 3-ring a good while back. I will reference it. All my Cat engines have that 100ppm condemnation level. I am comfortable with that.

Just for the heck of it I will inquire with the lab and ask about that Abn of 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back