Noisy valves 2002 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal for the valves to be noisy after a cold start? After a few minutes they go completely silent. I'm thinking about removing the valve cover this weekend and having a look/adjusting them.

This is on a 2002 Honda Accord 2.3 with 107,000 miles.

I believe it is in the service regimen to adjust the valves, so I would say its probably normal if they've never been done. Good maintenance history up until this point?

On the F23 the valve adjustment isn't a bad job. If the timing belt hasn't been done you can catch them both at the same time.

A cold startup tick can also indicate a dirty engine with poor oil flow. What kind of oil are you using and how often are you changing it?

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Is it normal for the valves to be noisy after a cold start? After a few minutes they go completely silent. I'm thinking about removing the valve cover this weekend and having a look/adjusting them.

The noise you hear is not valves, it's piston-slap.

Check the valves anyway. If you've gone 107K without checking them, they need doing.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: stranger706

The noise you hear is not valves, it's piston-slap.

Check the valves anyway. If you've gone 107K without checking them, they need doing.

Worth considering. If it is rapid chatter, like a sewing machine, I would lean towards valves and adjust. A more distinct light knock would likely be slap, which you would probably have to learn to live with.

I've only had the car for 6 weeks, no maintenance history. When I got the car home I changed the oil & filter using PYB 5w20 and Fram extended guard. The oil filter that came off was a Honda oil filter. When I saw that I realized the Honda dealer had probably just done an oil change. Shoot, oh well it had already drained so I put the new stuff on.

The small amount of valvetrain I can see through the oil fill hole is clean. Based on that and how the car operates and drives, I would say the car was well cared for.

Interesting comment about the 2.3 being noisy. After its warmed up, its one the quietest I4's I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back