Low Rolling Resistance tires 2010 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys recommend the best Low Rolling Resistance tires for a Honda Fit? Do they actually reduce your MPG (L/100 km) on your digital readout noticeably?

I get 8L /100 km right now for mainly City driving with maybe 30% highway and I practice basic hypermiling skills.

On the highway doing a comfortable speed I can get 5L / 100 km easily.

Would I be able to at least gain 1L / 100km?

What are your experiences and pros / cons of brands... My stock tire size is 175/65r/15.

Thanks a lot and hope you guys have a good weekend!

I'm getting 6.6L to 100kms in the city (5spd M/T). 5.9~5.7L/100kms on the highway typically.

still on my factory stock tires (dunlop SP37) on my 06 fit.

Q.

My wife got 60k out of the stock dunlops, amazingly, on her '09 Fit. I've settled on the Yokohama Avid Ascend and will be going to get them installed within a couple weeks. Sorry that I can't comment directly on how they perform, but seem to me like they will be the best tire for our driving pattern.

With the same pressure you may gain 2-3% MPG from the LRR tire. Similar gain when you increase tire pressure up by about 6-10 PSI.

OK. It's time again for my lecture on Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires.

The term is a misnomer. What it means is that the tires have lower rolling resistance compared to other SIMILAR tires - meaning same UTQG ratings. Since treadwear, traction, and rolling resistance is a technology triangle (to get better values in one area. you have to make a sacrifice in the other areas), the differences in RR between a LRR and a similar non-LRR tires is small compared to the differences you can get if you are willing to sacrifice treadwear and/or traction.

To complicate matters further, OE tires are generally built to fairly low RR values - which explains why you'll hear so many complaints about treadwear and traction.

Bottomline: If you have on a set of OE tires, don't expect improvements in fuel economy by putting on LRR tires - and, you are likely to experience the reverse.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just stick to a good All Season Tire and forget LRR as we have a risk in Quebec that after you change your Winter tires you may get snow after your Winters are off, so it is nice to at least have All Seasons on if you have some snow days heading into Spring.

It is also possible that you have light snow before you get your Winter tires on as well, so All Seasons are my choice if LRR don't really give you that great of a MPG benefit.

It's possible to have LRR and good performance. Michelin makes some decidedly LRR tires that are in fact good performers. So does Nokian, although they're not as available in North America as are Michelin.

In the stock size, I'd look at the Yoko Avid Ascends, or the Goodyear Fuel Max. Both of those are LRR, and offer decent road manners.

I tried the Bridgestone Ecopia tires but noticed no gain in MPG...I like the tires though and they seem to wear nice so overall it was fine for me and I got 100 off a set of 4 so definitely no complaints here.

HOw about Nokian WR G2?
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&group=1.01&name=Nokian+WRG2

Nokian designs their tires to be low rolling resistance from the start--- they have been doing this before LRR tires became cool.

Another benefit to consider is during the winter months, since by law you have to have winter tires, identified by the mountain-snowflake symbol.

These all-seasons have them. So they are good year-round for the Montreal area. Up front they are more costly. Compare that to getting a winter tire set for the winter and doing the annual swaps.

I like those nokians, but where does one buy them and how does price compare to, say, Michelin?

Well at STS online, the nokians are less than the Michelin Primacy MXM4 that Im looking at...

Wonder how old the stock is on Nokians though... Doubt they turn over much...

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
General Altimax HP's.

I had the Altimax HP's on my 09 Fit Sport in the bigger size (215/50 16?) and while they handled better than the stock Dunlops, they were not as sure-footed as the Yokohama Avid ENVigors I ran just before them and got worse gas mileage. If I'd kept the car longer, my next change was going to be to the General GMAX AS-03

I've got Goodyear VIVA Assurance FM's on my 09 Malibu and have been pleased. Fuel savings are negligible. They claim you will save 2600 miles worth of gas over the life of the tires, which are supposedly a 65k tire. 560 treadwear rating.

Problem with the Fit is that one of the most common OEM sizes is oddball, so nothing is available. Ours is running the factory +0 size 205/50-16 to have more/cheaper choices. At least the 15" size has lots of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back