High ash vs TBN vs particle filter etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
I'd use a 15W40 oil off this page:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...ent_action=show

except when storing outdoors below -15C, then use a 10W30 or 40
And if you use an oil of 228.3 quality then oilchanges every 8-10K km are probably sufficient.

Charlie

Hi,

I just wanted to pick up this topic again after doing some research.

If I find a "no-name" budget WalMart type of oil fulfilling the MB228.3 (or any of the MB standard), should that fully indicate the quality of the oil? Here in Europe many budget oils have this indication.

Example for MB229.1 oils:

I need 10 liters (2.6 gallons) of oil for each OCI.

Oil 1
Budget oil 10W-40, semisynthetic API SL/CF, ACEA A3.B3.B4, MB229.1 10 liters = 85 USD. This absolutely the cheapest 10W-40 oil you can get over here.

Oil 2
Mobil Super 2000 10W-40, semisyntehic API SL/SJ/CF; ACEA A3/B3; MB229.1 10 litres = 125 USD.

These prices might be a chock to US consumers, and if I plan to do 5000 km OCIs it will quickly become costly.

Over here most enthusiasts never use the budget oils because they are afraid the oil is of a bad quality. But if it fulfills the MB standards ... shouldn't that be suffient - or are they missing vital additives?

Lucas

Last edited:
229.1 is the lowest MB standard for current oils.
I'd really look for at least a 228.3 for a diesel Landcruiser. Probably a 10W40 since you are pretty far north in Denmark.

Charlie

Mobil Delvac Extra MX 10W40 at least gives the TBN, which 11.2, which means it should be good for 10000km more or less.
Remember that acid also builds up from oxidation of nitrogen in the combustion chamber, even if there's almost no sulfur in the fuel. Nitric acid is as potent as sulfuric acid.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back