'08 Cadillac DTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any experiences, good or bad? The local Cadillac dealer has a handsome '08 with an "espresso" exterior and two-tone interior (a black steering wheel on a domestic car w/ a tan interior! I can't believe it!). It's a little high-priced for my taste at $22K, but it only has 32K miles on it.

I'm not really looking to replace the venerable and still fantastic Buick. But if I did, what kind of repair/reliability record did these models have, and what kind of MPG could I expect? The site says 15/23, which is pretty bad even for a V-8 on regular.

I've had them as rentals before. Very comfortable and roomy. The ride is excellent at highway speeds, but maneuvering was not very confidence-inspiring. The interior felt rather dated, too.

Full disclosure: I'm probably not the best person to comment since I tend to prefer the German cars, and sporty ones at that.

We loved the cooled seats in the Florida heat. :)

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Any experiences, good or bad? The local Cadillac dealer has a handsome '08 with an "espresso" exterior and two-tone interior (a black steering wheel on a domestic car w/ a tan interior! I can't believe it!). It's a little high-priced for my taste at $22K, but it only has 32K miles on it.

I'm, not really looking to replace the venerable and still fantastic Buick. But if I did, what kind of repair/reliability record did these models have, and what kind of MPG could I expect? The site says 15/23, which is pretty bad even for a V-8 on regular.

Well, the DTS is a land yacht. Why do you think they stopped making them in 2011? I may look at an STS. I hear they are very similar & even have same leg room.

As to the car itself.. Big, soft, couch-feeling GM. If the Northstar V-8 doesnt have a head gasket issue, its fine. I know that was one in a long series of GM problem engines. Maybe not that year or maybe im off, but its a good car.

FWIW, I have seen a few of this car with the hood up in the parking lot from what looks like overheating. I think id choose an 03 Ultra over a DTS. Not sure, but maybe.

Now the up-until 2005 DeVilles maybe had the engine issue, but perhaps a preferred car? Idk.

Yeah, the Ultra -- If I could find, say, an '05 in my area that wasn't beaten to death, I might want to grab it. But every PA I've seen, except mine, either looks tired and unkempt, or has been tricked out with giant wheels, which to me suggests the owner spent all of his cash on cosmetics and none on maintenance.

What can I say? I like a big soft(ish) car. The cart tracks locals laughingly call streets here require something more relaxed than a German sedan. I know; I drove an '86 S-Class Mercedes and an '97 C-Class over said roads from 2001 to 2007. So I'm very glad of the Buick's Isolate-You-from-the-Road approach, and if the Cadillac takes that attitude as well, that's good.

The look of this particular DTS appeals to me too. I'll be out in Metairie tomorrow; perhaps I'll stop by and test drive it.

I actually own a 2007 DTS. I bought it used in April, 2011. It has been the finest automobile I have ever owned, period. No repairs. Mileage 23 average, 20 city, 28 hiway. You will see lots of people trash this car on this post. They don't own one, probably never even ridden in one. All they know is what they read in magazine articles, because I've read the same articles they get their smart-a** remarks from. Remember the slogan that Packard used for fifty years, "Ask the Man Who Owns One." Look here for what DTS owners think of their cars.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-dts-forum-2006-through-2012/

Last edited:
If you like your Buick you will love the DTS. Go drive it and I bet you'll be hooked. I think the price they are asking is too high, though. Should be in the $18K-$19K range.

Now that's what I like to read: positive comments. I'll go have a look at those forums. By the way, it is regular the DTS runs on, right? Or is it "premium recommended, but regular is fine under most conditions"? And the 20/28 mpg -- is that with A/C or without?

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Now that's what I like to read: positive comments. I'll go have a look at those forums. By the way, it is regular the DTS runs on, right? Or is it "premium recommended, but regular is fine under most conditions"? And the 23/28 mpg -- is that with A/C or without?

I don't remember the exact wording in the manual, something like premium recommended, regular OK if your car doesn't knock. I run regular all the time and the car does great. Never a knock or ping. Back and forth to work, I never bother to turn the air on(my screen name). On the road, I do run it, I don't think it makes much difference.

Google 'Cadillac Forum buying advice' or something similar, You will see guys in your position getting a lot of honest, and I think, well thought-out answers.

I see them all the...could be because they are built around here (used to) For the most part, the 2007+ DTS models seems to do just fine with very few issues.

I'd see if you could talk them down a bit...

I used to have an 07 and loved it. Had all the options including navigation and floor shift. Nice riding car, very good power. I sometimes wish I still had it instead of the 2008 CTS I replaced it with lol.

Northstar engine, transaxle was state of the art during Reagan's first term, handles like a tuna boat, and all sorts of impending electrical gremlins...wouldn't own a DTS if you gave it to me. Should have been euthanized ten years before it actually was.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Northstar engine, transaxle was state of the art during Reagan's first term, handles like a tuna boat, and all sorts of impending electrical gremlins...wouldn't own a DTS if you gave it to me.

Spoken like someone who has never owned (or even driven) a 2008 DTS.

BTW, the Northstar was introduced in 1992. Reagan's first term ended in 1984. At that time, "state of the art" for V8 luxury sedans was SOHC and two valves per cyl (Mercedes). Audi's V8 was still four years away. BMW's V8 was still eight years away. To my knowledge, in 1984, there wasn't a production V8 sold by anyone in a luxury sedan that had four valves per cyl. and DOHC. Domestic "state of the art" in 1984 was pushrods and carburetors. So, your comment that the Northstar was "state of the art" in Reagan's first term is ignorant and ridiculous.

I like the look of the DTS over all other caddys, but i guess i'm partial to over size cars. The only thing i don't like about them is FWD But i would still love to have one in black.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Northstar engine, transaxle was state of the art during Reagan's first term, handles like a tuna boat, and all sorts of impending electrical gremlins...wouldn't own a DTS if you gave it to me.

BTW, the Northstar was introduced in 1992. Reagan's first term ended in 1984. At that time, "state of the art" for V8 luxury sedans was SOHC and two valves per cyl (Mercedes). Audi's V8 was still four years away. BMW's V8 was still eight years away. To my knowledge, in 1984, there wasn't a production V8 sold by anyone in a luxury sedan that had four valves per cyl. and DOHC. Domestic "state of the art" in 1984 was pushrods and carburetors. So, your comment that the Northstar was "state of the art" in Reagan's first term is ignorant and ridiculous.

Look out G-MAN. You may have the facts on your side, but Jarlaxle can regurgitate all those Cadillac bashing magazine articles written by guys who drive BMW's.

2008 dts for sale about an hour from me , 14000 miles senior owned and never winter driven $25500

Reread my post carefully. Read what I ACTUALLY POSTED. Comprehend it. Then, and only then, respond to it. Thank you.

And actually, I have driven DTS's, half a dozen different ones from 1999 to 2006. Universally awful, garage queens, all sorts of electrical gremlins.

Originally Posted By: tightwad

Look out G-MAN. You may have the facts on your side, but Jarlaxle can regurgitate all those Cadillac bashing magazine articles written by guys who drive BMW's.

Yeah, because I have owned a whopping total of...ZERO BMW's in my life! The DTS deserves to be bashed. It was a hopelessly-outdated fossil, a tuna boat that should have been euthanized years ago. It does nothing especially well.

Reread my post carefully. Read what I ACTUALLY POSTED. Comprehend it. Then, and only then, respond to it. Thank you.

Okay. Here's my response after a re-read what your wrote:

crackmeup2.gif

You are unable to respond intelligently, so you instead attempt to distract. I accept your concession.

I'm prostrate before your superior knowledge. Please forgive me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back