Any car owners with bypass and huge mileage?

Hi all,

I find this forum about bypass filtration and oil cleanliness extremely interesting.

But still, I would like to ask if there are any car owners that use bypass filtration and have covered high miles.

Thanks

We ran bypass filters on fleet trucks for many years.

Seriously, on most newer cars there is no real ROI, as the additional expense and UOA's will eat up your meager savings.

Modern oils and good filters have taken away the benefits for the ordinary driver.

What do you consider "high miles"?

I have a bypass filter on my Golf that has done approximately 70k km since installation, 200k km currently on the car. After installing it, I did a one-year, 30k km OCI and got back my best UOA to date.

In most cars there is little benefit, but with the notoriously cam-grinding PD engine I thought could benefit from extra filtration and an extra liter of sump capacity.

@ARB1977 : Changing the oil soon is obvious and correct I guess, but bp possibly is more economical and possibly does a better job at keeping the oil clean, as oil even if new, contains some dirt by itself.

@ SteveSRT8 : Thanks for your answer. The problem is that I still can't get my head around how a better oil would do anything at all about dirt. A better filter, yes, it would help with dirt, or so I feel.

@ scurvy : I don't have a specific limit for "high miles". Whatever you think is important is acceptable. I am looking for some evidence that bp actually helps the engine. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nice on the 360k one! Any oil related problems like using oil?

cheers3.gif

I've started with bypass fitltration but an not far enough to brag about anything yet. Only about 10K into a run now... which can be done without bypass. With a few exceptions, I see bypass filtration as an oil life extender rather than an engine life extender... though it does that also. Carefully calculate the costs because the ROI isn't there for everyone. A good oil and good primary filter goes a long way, especially on a gas engine. With diesels, a good ROI is easier to attain. With eitehr type of engine, a good ROI is easier when the engine gets high annual miles... as with a commercially operated vehicle that on the road 8 hours a day, every day and downtime for maintenance removes the vehicle fro it's tasks.

What I am mostly interested in is extended extended engine life, as well as a good engine life ie the lest possible oil consumption, less failing seals.

I don't think I will extend the OCI too much. 15k klms is manufacturer specified, plus the bigger sump, I should be able to reach 20k and still be within manufacturer specs. A few analyses should lead me to 30k and that's about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alexeft
Nice on the 360k one! Any oil related problems like using oil?

It is a 91 Chevy V8 K1500. I am running an Amsoil BE-110 bypass with a M1 stainless steel mesh full flow. I have not changed either filters in the past four years. I drained out the old oil at every 10K and refilled with whatever I have left on the shelves. Honestly, I don't know what oil is in there right now. Oil consumption is less than a quart per OCI. Engine has not been opened for any repair yet, like a rock.

Last edited:
Wow
19.gif

Exactly what I expect.

BTW, what is an M1 mesh? Some kind of filter with only a mesh inside?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alexeft

@ SteveSRT8 : Thanks for your answer. The problem is that I still can't get my head around how a better oil would do anything at all about dirt. A better filter, yes, it would help with dirt, or so I feel.

The problem is most filters are never used to capacity and a bypass setup is always good, just not worth the money and additional leak points, etc.

I have 248,000 miles on my '03 Honda S2000 with an Amsoil BMK-13 dual remote bypass filter system and a prelube pump. I run Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 oil with 40,000 mile OCIs. My car still runs like new and my UOAs are looking great.

I agree that the filter is the key, but it takes a good oil with a robust add pack to allow you to extend your OCIs enough to make it cost effective.

Originally Posted By: slalom44
I have 248,000 miles on my '03 Honda S2000 with an Amsoil BMK-13 dual remote bypass filter system and a prelube pump. I run Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 oil with 40,000 mile OCIs. My car still runs like new and my UOAs are looking great.

I agree that the filter is the key, but it takes a good oil with a robust add pack to allow you to extend your OCIs enough to make it cost effective.

Syns with bypass in greatly extended OCIs, using UOAs for verification.

Finally! - someone who understands and uses tools for their correct application. Kudos to you!

Kudos from me to slalom44 for his very nice Honda. That's an eye popping UOA there.

The reason I still support (or so I think, I haven't installed the BP yet) changing the oil at reasonable intervals is that UOAs cost as much as an oil change. It is easier (and I feel more comfortable with it, at least for now).

I would expect to have a ROI from a longer and better engine life. 10k or 18k miles on an OCI does not seem like a really small interval and I think BP will still help the engine.

Agreed; small sumps and moderate OCIs cannot make expensive products meet the ROI. That often goes for syns, premium filters, additives, etc.

But some folks like the challenges, and they like to be "different". Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I simply applaud using syns and bypass and UOAs for all the right reasons, which slalom44 is.

Of course, there is nothing wrong at all with this challenge and/or being different.

As we get virtually infinite engine life now with quality syn and a good filter changed exactly per OLM we have dropped the bypass set ups and never looked back.

If you want more things to potentially leak and more expenses with questionable benefits, I applaud your willingness to work.

I have engines out working every day with OVER 400k miles that run quiet, do not consume oil, and do not smoke or drip.

If you do not use UOA's to document the effectiveness then you are simply having fun, which is ok too.

Back