Should I return these brake pads (Centric PosiQuie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for a set of inexpensive brake pads for my beater Ford Taurus. I ordered a set of Centric Posi-Quiet semi-metallic extended performance (106-series) brake pads, based on good reviews I have seen online. I just got the box, and without tearing up the plastic wrap I can see that these brake pads have "EE" rating. I would have preferred brake pads with FF rating. Should I return these or it does not matter a whole lot?

Get the 105 series, they have more friction for a daily driver.

The 106 series is best for delivery vans, parts trucks, etc - vehicles with heavy loads that need long wear. Supposedly.

The only pads I use from Centric are their 100 series OEM pads, but those are not available for your car.

I just realized how easy it is to return merchandize back to Amazon. I think I will return these brake pads. To tell the truth, I had my mind set on Akebono ProACT brake pads, which have excellent reputation as street brake pads. However, I cheapened out a little and decided to order these as they cost $20 less and have good reviews. However, the "EE" friction rating was a bit of a turn off for me once I saw them. Going to EE is probably a step back for me. I imagine these brake pads are like the Ford OEM brake pads (no dust, last forever, fade fast, you need to _stand_ on pedal in emergency situation)

http://www.centricparts.com/index.php?op...s&Itemid=66

I did not realize that they had 100 series available for domestics, I thought it was strictly for imports.

They are supposed to be the exact same friction formula as the OE pad, from the same manufacturer, and all new hardware is included. The price is usually very good as well. I have pictures up in another thread.

However, do not buy 100 series pad from Amazon. The 100 series program only began including the hardware and shims last year. The set of 100 series pads I bought from Amazon had been sitting on the shelf since 2008, so ymmv.

Here's a press release from Centric from earlier this year.
http://www.centricparts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=293:centric-parts-introduces-new-100-series-pad-line-with-true-oe-formulations&catid=45:current-news&Itemid=66

Quote:
Centric Parts Introduces New 100 Series Pad Line with True OE Formulations

Industry, Calif. (March 2012)– Centric Parts, a leading manufacturer and supplier of aftermarket brake and clutch components and systems, today introduces their newly updated 100 Series OE Brake Friction Line featuring true OE formulations. Centric Parts 100 Series OE Brake Friction is a true OE formulation friction line, manufactured using OE processes and OE materials by OE manufacturers.

Centric’s world-class R&D team’s analysis of Original Equipment pads identified 20 OE friction material formulations, which are utilized in this new application-specific 100 Series line of pads. Like all of their brake products, Centric Parts 100 series friction is designed to meet or exceed their exacting standards for OE braking performance for today’s vehicles.

“True OE formulations have gradually been replaced by aftermarket blends in too many product lines across the industry,” explained Centric Parts CEO Dino Crescentini. “That’s why Centric has introduced this new 100 Series friction line. Not only are the pads true OE formulations, but we’ve gone the extra mile in including FULL hardware kits with most of the pads, using only Stainless Steel abutment clips, as opposed to the cheaper plated clips that are used by most of the other aftermarket companies. It’s touches like that that will keep us ahead of the competition.”

Features and Benefits:

OE positive mold technology for consistent friction material density throughout the pad, resulting in even wear and performance characteristics throughout the life of the product.
Precision blank with machined abutments or fine blank backing plates for proper caliper fitment reducing pad vibration and noise
Full, superior-quality, application-specific hardware kit included*
Scorched to optimize break-in*
Fully shimmed
OE raw material suppliers
OE production facilities
OE processes
OE formulations

*where applicable

Centric offers a large selection of quality brake friction solutions for a wide range of vehicle applications and driving styles. Choosing the correct friction formula for your particular application is essential for optimizing brake system performance and reliability. Centric's engineering team carefully selects and tests each friction compound to ensure proper stopping performance throughout the lifetime of the brake pad. With three in-house brake dynos and real-time vehicle testing, Centric is the aftermarket leader in brake pads and shoes, providing reliably safe braking performance.

For side by side comparison of the various brake friction formulas offered by Centric Parts, click here.
( http://www.centricparts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=269&Itemid=269 )

For more information on Centric Parts or their full line of brake and clutch components and systems, visit www.centricparts.com or call 800-758-3004.

I have not had problems getting old merchandise from Amazon. I ordered pads last year and they were only a few months old. I would guess Critic's experience was likely isolated. Amazon's supplier may have sold them some old stock.

Amazon's customer service is quite good. If you order them and happen to get old stock, returning them should be very easy. But, I wouldn't worry about it until it happens.

Last edited:
I recently purchased front chinese drilled and slotted rotors and Posiquiet pads for my Jaguar X type. They actually work quite well. However, my baby Jag has rather large brakes for it's weight and it's not exactly a high performance car, with only 149HP to the wheels.

I'd purchase them again, as they produce much less dust than the OEM pads and perform every bit as well.

The whole talk about vehicle specific "OE" formulations doesn't make sense to me. If I wanted a brake pad that performs like OEM brake pad, I would buy the OEM brake pad, not Centric 100 "OE". It's also going to be different to predict how these will work, since the way this brake pad performs on say Ford may be completely different from a BMW.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
The whole talk about vehicle specific "OE" formulations doesn't make sense to me. If I wanted a brake pad that performs like OEM brake pad, I would buy the OEM brake pad, not Centric 100 "OE". It's also going to be different to predict how these will work, since the way this brake pad performs on say Ford may be completely different from a BMW.

The concept of Centric 100 series is to give you the exact same formula that is in the OE/OES pad at a far lower cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back