wearever brake pads from Adavance Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the Wearever silver pads for my sonata from Advance auto and so far I am not very impressed with them. They leave alot of brake dust on my rims compared to the OEM ones I had and once in a while I get a squeek while braking. I lubed the outside of the pads and everything before install. I dont know how long they are going to last but something tells me they wont be as long as the OE pads I replaced that had 70k miles on them....I probbably wont be buying these pads again unless I just got a bad batch....anyone else have any opinions of these?

Their Silver line is a basic replacement grade. You'll find similar complaints to yours. While they should work just fine, they will dust and probably not last as long as OEM. The Golds are a better bet.

Cheapest ceramic or the more expensive semi-metallic pads is the standard I go by.

The cheapest semi-metallic pads have always had the same problems. They squeak, they dust like crazy, and they don't last for [censored].

To the OP-

What was the country of origin of the pads and how much did they cost? I'm going to guess India, or China, but I could be wrong.

I personally don't see any reason to go with store-brand brake pads. There are too many good choices to go with an unknown like that. OEM or premium aftermarket pads are usually pretty well priced. Well, sometimes the OEM pads can be pricey.

I recently had it narrowed down to Akebono ProACT (made in USA) or Bendix CT-3 (made in USA or Canada) for a brake job I did.

With a store brand pad you don't know what you're going to get. Even if they have good reviews, you don't know if they could have recently switched suppliers or if a different supplier or formula is used for the pads for your application.

I've had similar experiences with the Silver. They work well but make a lot of dust and noise. The Gold's are great. Picking up some for the Elantra tomorrow actually.

I've got a set of Golds on the back of the Jeep now. They're ok, but don't take heat well (doesn't take a whole lot to get them to stink like [censored] and start fading). Admittedly, the thermoquiets up front are no better (and they fade pretty quickly, but don't get smelly when it happens).

I put a set of the new Wearever Platinums on the front of my mom's 99 Grand Cherokee, and they seem to be doing well so far. However, that one has bigger brakes than mine and doesn't get driven balls-to-the-wall on a regular basis.

I am definiely going to shop around more before i get new pads next time....I was short on cash and picked up the silvers for 20.00 with advance codes which is why i opted for those at the time

You can't go wrong with the semi-metallic Bendix MKD brake pads.

Many shops use only Bendix and primarily the MKDs because they eliminate comebacks, assuming everything else was done right.

Keith

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I've got a set of Golds on the back of the Jeep now. They're ok, but don't take heat well (doesn't take a whole lot to get them to stink like [censored] and start fading). Admittedly, the thermoquiets up front are no better (and they fade pretty quickly, but don't get smelly when it happens).

I put a set of the new Wearever Platinums on the front of my mom's 99 Grand Cherokee, and they seem to be doing well so far. However, that one has bigger brakes than mine and doesn't get driven balls-to-the-wall on a regular basis.

That's quite a brake testing platform you have there. Especially when flogged, they should be working hard.

And that's why I always tell my friends that brake pads are like Ice Cream, over a million flavors.

No one formula can 'do it all'. I have examined several different sets of the new Platinum pads at AAP and they even vary from front to rear on the same vehicle!

ya the rear ones are the same pads as the fronts and they are doing fine for me, it really does just depend I guess on which ones you get....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back