Short Barrel Muzzle Flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the gun store today, about to jump on a small J- frame smith and wesson 38. I call my brother to let me know about my soon to be purchase, when he says that a 2" barrel revolver is going to have too much muzzle flash in home defense situations, so he recommended I get a firearm with a longer barrel (3-4"). What is the consensus on this?

Thanks!

If you're shooting at someone breaking into your house, who cares about muzzle flash?

I'm pretty sure by the first shot they know you're there.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
If you're shooting at someone breaking into your house, who cares about muzzle flash?

^^^^^ this. I would be a bit more concerned about accuracy with a 2" barrel.

For accuracy, really, 2" is more then enough if you've trained yourself well enough to fire it accurately which is key. Most home situations your engagement distance is under 25 feet anyhow and anything is accurate enough by then.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

The concern with muzzle flash is not that the bad person would know where you are but that you would be blinded by the flash. Of course this only applies in the dark.

I wonder how much difference the extra 2" makes...

Muzzle Flash is WAY over blown. NOT even something to worry about. Some people even gave me the same warning for my Glock 20C.

First of all, blasting away in complete darkness????

If it's not for concealed carry go with a 4" barrel. IMHO much easier to shoot and much more user friendly sight radius.

I'd opt for a slightly longer barrel, for better accuracy. I wouldn't worry about muzzle flash.

On the flash.

MOST top tier defensive loads these days incorporate a flash reduction component in the propellant. The specialty loadings for short barreled handguns use a faster burning propellant to increase velocity through more complete combustion and in the process reduce muzzle flash from unburnt propellant.

Realisticly, muzzle flash is not an issue anymore than muzzle blast when under stress, though if you do take the time to train in low light, you will learn to use the muzzle flash to index the front sight and correct on the next.

The utility of a 2" barrel is it's ease of portability.
The tradeoff is contol, and recoil due to physics.
Mechanical accuracy is unrelated.
Long story short, it is more difficult to make hits with a short barreled sidearm, and markedly so when under stress.

Seeing as how it will be a "House gun" and not concealed, it's primary attribute is not needed, and is a detriment to it's primary function.

A good used std. 4" .38spl Revolver like the old M10, has many advantages over the little J frame, and thanks to a gazillion of 'em bieng out there, cost less as they aren't competing for the concealed carry market.

J-frames are neat little snots that slide nicely into a jacket pocket or dissapear in a belt slide under a loose sweater.
But if you aren't going to carry the thing, it would be wise to consider the disadvantages that come with it's concealability.

Then again a J-frame might justify a bigger brother or two.
It's been known to happen that way.;)

Just My .02
I wish ya luck.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Muzzle Flash is WAY over blown. NOT even something to worry about. Some people even gave me the same warning for my Glock 20C.

First of all, blasting away in complete darkness????

If it's not for concealed carry go with a 4" barrel. IMHO much easier to shoot and much more user friendly sight radius.

For 357 in a short barrel, muzzle flash and blast is a concern IMO. I've fired my dad's Ruger 357 at night while camping and it's a lighting rod with 357 compared to 38 special. But for 38 special, it's not an issue.

They do make flash suppressing ammo for short barrel revolvers if anyone is concerned about it.

Last edited:
A J frame would be way down the list of handguns I'd own if it purchased for home defense.

Thats coming from a guy that owns a J frame.

As others have pointed out, concealability isn't important. I would recommend a Ruger revolver. If you are recoil sensitive, an SP-101 w/3" barrel shooting 38specials will enable you to make quicker follow up shots. If you want something more "substantial", I can tell you that a Ruger GP-100 4" barrel is a handful of stainless steel. You can fire all the .357's out of it you can stand. Because of it's weight, you'll be able to get a second shot on target quickly.
Notice I only recommend a revolver for a home gun. It is highly unlikely that you'd ever have the time to fire more than six rounds before either they're dead or gone. Revolvers have basically no manual of arms. You point and pull the trigger.

I have and carry a j frame it is ideal for that purpose. for strictly home defense go with a 3or 4 inch revolver as others have stated.
The revolver is safer and you are not going to need more than 6 shots in your house. Get some hornady critical defense rounds, I shoot them and muzzle flash is greatly reduced.

The shorter the barrel, the more flash you'll get because not all of the powder gets burned I mush a short barrel. But like everyone says, who cares? But, if you want a good home defense, nothing beats a shotgun. In most states, the sound of a pump action is considered a warning
smile.gif

Last edited:
I also own a J-Frame S&W -- It's intended for concealment and is generally tough to shoot. Mine is rated for .357 and gives off a massive fireball with a lot of recoil. For home defense, I think a full size revolver works better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back