99 Ford diesel died - now runs rough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend here at work that has a 99 Ford F-250 with the 7.3L Diesel. He has 280,000 miles on it. He's owned it since new and keeps it well maintained. The other day he was on the highway and it died. He was low on fuel, but didn't run out. He took of the valve covers and fiddled with some connector and after getting two new batteries it started. But it takes 12 cranks to get running now (used to be 2 or 3). And once it's running it runs a little rough.

He thinks he may have sucked some garbage up from low on fuel. I recommended he put in some kind of diesel cleaner and about 5 gals of diesel and run it hard for a bit to see if that cleans up the injectors.

What do you'all think?
Recommendations on what diesel fuel cleaner to use also please!
smile.gif

Could be a bad filter that is dirty and not allowing good fuel flow, but if he has air in the system, it can cause all kinds of funny things...

This guy has alot of interesting facts ,,Here is one video and his website info also to look further into your situation

I know someone who ran their diesel out of fuel not to long ago.

It required him to have his fuel filters replaced before it ran right again. Something about getting air in the filters along with being time to change them anyway makes it run rough.

A lot of times on the 7.3L's when they just die like that its the crank sensor, which was recalled. Check and see if the one in the truck is black with a gold bracket or grey with a silver bracket. The black with gold is the old part that should be thrown away.

Wonder if he got a dose of fuel from a slow selling dealer,and his storage tanks are full of bio-organisms,that then got pumped into his truck? Just a thought.Can plug filters,injector pumps,injectors....the whole bit.Running a tank low can make it worse.

All you guys make good points. I had the cps go on my 7.3 and it just died, no warning at all. I tried to start it a couple times no go. I checked out what other guys on the net thought and then tried it again. It started right up. I drove it home for about 100km and then replaced the cps and it never did it again. By the way that little sensor which is just a magnet is a pain to get to and it is only held on by a 10 or 12mm bolt.

Make sure to use the new o-ring and metal support that comes with it and clean the oil out of the hole it sits in. I dont know if oil kills it but mine had a bit on it.

I don't think its the Crankshaft position sensor. I had a '95 Powerstroke where it went bad. The truck died for no reason, but when it ran it ran, no issues.

I think its related to fuel as my brother pumped in some unfiltered diesel into his '02 Powerstroke from a tank with rust and caused all kinds of problems where it ran rough and at times wouldn't run at all and died numerous times. We changed out the fuel filter, which had some junk but was not completely clogged. We ended up pulling the tank off and there is a screen on the pick up tube that was completely blocked. After we cleaned the screen and the tank, no more problems.

I would run some injector cleaner first, but if that doesn't work, then siphon as much fuel as you can and then pull the tank.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of the IDI having an CPS, those are very basic engines. I have an '89 that was bought new also and it has been virtually trouble-free.
Since it was run low on fuel I would start with the filter and then check the glow plug relay, if its original it more than likely needs replaced anyways.
The contacts become corroded/burnt over time and can't handle the amperage required to run the glow plugs.

As I stated its more than likely the fuel filter/air entrapment.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I wasn't aware of the IDI having an CPS, those are very basic engines. I have an '89 that was bought new also and it has been virtually trouble-free.
Since it was run low on fuel I would start with the filter and then check the glow plug relay, if its original it more than likely needs replaced anyways.
The contacts become corroded/burnt over time and can't handle the amperage required to run the glow plugs.

The OP indicated he has a '99 Powerstroke. That is a DI engine and they do have a CPS on it.

Originally Posted By: adamrc

The OP indicated he has a '99 Powerstroke. That is a DI engine and they do have a CPS on it.

My apologies, for whatever reason I seen '89 instead of '99.

I agree with all above posts, fuel filter first, then CPS. I had an '01 and also an '02 7.3. The '01 failed at about 100,000 mi., the '02 hadn't failed at the time of trade-in, but I had quite a few friends who had them fail. One truck, a '99 if I'm not mistaken had several fail before they were updated.

Originally Posted By: adamrc

My apologies, for whatever reason I seen '89 instead of '99.

I agree with all above posts, fuel filter first, then CPS. I had an '01 and also an '02 7.3. The '01 failed at about 100,000 mi., the '02 hadn't failed at the time of trade-in, but I had quite a few friends who had them fail. One truck, a '99 if I'm not mistaken had several fail before they were updated.

What in the world are you doing to these trucks? My '95 I bought from my brother lasted until 300k miles (and still runs) and his '02 Powerstroke has over 350k miles (and still daily driver) and still runs, all on the original engine, tranny, and rearend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back