Yokohama Geolander I/T G072 vs Blizzak DM-V1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at getting a set of winter tires for my Tundra. I want something that has excellent all round winter traction (ie all conditions), and will last a for a long time.

So far my choices have been narrowed to Yokohama Geolander I/T G072 and the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1.

Any opinions on which is the best compromise of winter traction/long term durability?

I have that Blizzak model on my RX300. They seem to be lasting a long time (with switching between summer and winter tires, I not not know the mileage count). I bought them because I have always been happy with the Blizzak series of tires. I have no complaints at all with them. Sorry, I've never tried the Yoko's...

I have a set of xice xi2's and bridgestone blizzack ws-70s

I prefer the blizzack ws-70s

Check if either of those are rated for ice. Most of the Blizzaks are. HUGE selling point and you will notice that.

Its hard to explain but I had both on my car, and also still have a set of xice xi2's on the gf's commuter box.

both were great tires.. the ws-70s are abit more "snow tire"

the michelins are more "it feels like an all-season" but wait its a winter tire.

the ws-70 balanced better in my case. I would have been happy with the xice xi2's but they came with terrible DTD brand lug-centric rims and were slightly out of balance on the highway. I returned them for the blizzacks and hub centric steelies from tirerack.

This gave me the chance to experience both on the same car.
(I had the michelins for 550miles while waiting on the blizzacks)

just a note I'm still happy with DTD just beware their "unique" brand steelies...

also both tires had a noticeable break in period. The michelins felt borderline scary on the highway for the first 300-400 miles then firmed up nicely.

The ws-70 I feel handle slightly better and have an edge in snow traction esp. deep snow.

The ice traction on both is great.

The xice xi2's on the gf's 2010 accent handle better than the oem tires in all conditions except dry and 60F+ temp.

she has kumho kh16's for oem tires. They will be replaced next spring at this rate.. with something non-oem and not mediocre.

Last edited:
I have had the G072s on my fwd Escape for the last two winters, and have been pretty impressed. Decent wear, good highway stability for a dedicated winter tire, and they seem to be a good balance between ice traction and ability to get through deeper snow.

I have previously had Nokian, Michelin, and Bridgestone winter tires on other vehicles, and would say the Yokos are probably tied for top spot with the Nokians, IMO.

Long story short, I would buy them again if I don't go studded next time around (we get some nasty melting/refreezing here).

Don't know about the Yokos as I have the Blizzak DM V3 on my Tundra and they are the best snow tire I have ever ridden on.
They are a top rated tire and have scored well in most tire tests. I have no idea how long they last but that is not the point of snow tires. Keeping you in contact with the road is, and these are the best imho.
If you go to the US and buy them they are half price.Don't know why Bridgestone dings us so bad up here but I got mine south of the border and they were $150 ea as compared to $300 here.(245/75/17)

Last edited:
Sound like they are both good tires. I was hoping more had experience with the Yoko's. Both are very close in price.

And it does matter how long they last. At the price of these tires, I don't want one that will wear in a couple of seasons.

Feel free to offer any other input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back