Best tire gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
was at a Stewarts (free air but like 7-11) and an older lady was filling the tires while her husband watched. I offered her the use of my Craftsman digital as the one on the air hoses are beat. Wouldn't you know it she had a newer and better Craftsman digital gauge than me.

Now that's a great story !

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I admit to using the new digital $.75 cent air machines being installed everywhere. The ex wife has my 60 gallon air compressor. Was too big to bring with me.

This is the one that goes back and forth between adding and measuring a few times and then beeps when its done? I like them, Mavis tire and Hess have free ones. Cumberland has a $0.75 one.

You can assume you ex-wife sold your compressor and kept the money. That happened to my diving watch, new snowblower and my family sterling silver, etc.

Whoever makes the gauge, as long as it's a Bourdon Tube, it'll be good for a long time. I don't expect the extending shaft ones will hold accuracy over time as well as a Bourdon tube. I personally don't see the need for a digital readout.
Years ago I dropped my gauge a long way onto concrete and the little gear inside skipped a few teeth. So, I opened it up, moved it back into place carefully and it's been good ever since. The mechanism is simple and reliable. Just about every round gauge out there is a Bourdon tube.
Several years ago I bought a second gauge from the local auto parts store for maybe $10 and it's within 1psi of my old one.

I have a Rebco dial gauge that I bought from Summit about 8 years ago. I try to take good care of it (i.e. don't drop it, etc) and it still works great. I really like the dial gauges better than any of them and this has been a great gauge.

I have a 30 year old mechanical one with a big round dial - Accu-Gage 60 lb. No batteries - runs on the air. Came with a rubber case. Made in USA. I think it was $15-20 in the early '80s.

Not sure if it is still made, or if it is still made to the same quality.

It is still balls-on accurate to the 1/4 lb. Only drawback is it doesn't lock the reading. So I tilt it and use it to bleed down to spec - lemonade from lemons.

My near vision is not as good as years ago, so I don't think I could live with those tiny stick types anymore.

The digital ones look fancy, but it's the sensor mechanism that matters. A digital readout doesn't mean much if it's off.

I admit to using the new digital $.75 cent air machines being installed everywhere. The ex wife has my 60 gallon air compressor. Was too big to bring with me.

I had to use one of those recently and was very upset to see how wet the air was!!!!! WATER, like real wayer would come out when you first pulled the trigger... beware.

Would have to go look (brand), but my needle dial indicated air guage is all metal with glass face. Have tried maybe a half dozen newer ones with plastic etc., seem go always rely on my old standby. Didn't care for the digital one I tried. Hard to read the display without glasses and very difficult when its dark/near dark.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I like Milton. big reputation on the heavy duty/industrial scene, and made in the USA

here is the pdf catalog: https://miltonindustries.com/uploads/Milton_Catalog_August_2011.pdf

Cool. I just bought their tread depth gauge. Needed something more reputable than a Lincoln's head to substantiate a possible mileage warranty claim.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I had to use one of those recently and was very upset to see how wet the air was!!!!! WATER, like real wayer would come out when you first pulled the trigger... beware.

Yes I've seen the steam come out on one of them. I blast it for a few seconds and its gone. All depends how often its used I guess. The one in the center of town doesn't do that. I've always wondered if the repeated heating and cooling was making rain inside my tire.

Donald - yes, that's it. It pumps, then lets a little out, something like that. Pretty cool.

I always liked Milton guages , But the best is the one that is actually used to check your tires.
Not rideing in the console or glovebox.

I'd like one, too...BUT I want a portable inflator/pump WITH a quality gauge.
If i measure tire pressure and see that my tires are low on air, I'd want to PUT some air in at the same time, too...

So is there a good quality, small-ish 12V operated tire inflator/pump + Tire pressure gauge combo thing that you guys recommend?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I like Milton. big reputation on the heavy duty/industrial scene, and made in the USA

here is the pdf catalog: https://miltonindustries.com/uploads/Milton_Catalog_August_2011.pdf

Cool. I just bought their tread depth gauge. Needed something more reputable than a Lincoln's head to substantiate a possible mileage warranty claim.
smile.gif

Milton gets my vote. Has for 40 years. And the cool, little piece of plastic that pops out doesn't require a battery. That's important, due to my screen name.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
If i measure tire pressure and see that my tires are low on air, I'd want to PUT some air in at the same time, too...

So is there a good quality, small-ish 12V operated tire inflator/pump + Tire pressure gauge combo thing that you guys recommend?

I think most of the 12V ones are pretty lame. Maybe a small 110V one.

Fill it over by 5 PSI at a free gas station and then adjust the next morning using your new gauge.

I have 2 air compressors and some 110V air pumps for tires, but I often fill at my favorite free place.

Fill it over by 5 PSI at a free gas station and then adjust the next morning using your new gauge.

I have 2 air compressors and some 110V air pumps for tires, but I often fill at my favorite free place.

+1 for a 110 compressor. I bought one (not cheap) but it sure is nice. And so quiet it doesn't sound like a strangling duck.

Originally Posted By: weebl
Surprised no one has mentioned PCL yet. Certified accurate to +/- 1 PSI, and not overly expensive. Very hard to find, you may need to order online, or get in touch with a tire supply wholesaler (which I did).

Passenger car model (6 to 50 psi): http://www.pcltireinflation.com/Products/Product?ProductId=1482

High pressure model (10 to 120 psi): http://www.pcltireinflation.com/Products/Product?ProductId=1496

Very solidly built, and made in the UK. I remember my dad had one when I was a kid. I bought the high pressure gauge for only $20.

so myers tire supply which is located 1mile from my house is listed as a vendor.. but they dont have it on their website.

all their gauges are listed as "myers" brand.... sigh

I tried their online vendor... it was good price at 3$ unfortuneately shipping was 11$ for 1 pencil type tire gauge

Last edited:

+1 That is how I fill my tires. 5 over then adjust them the next morning. Works great and you get a correct cold tire PSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back