Napa Reman Alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.
are they any good, the reman ones.

I cna get one for 172.92 but that is before 10% discount. it is a ford 6G alternator.This is the napa premium one with a lifetime warranty. i can get a brand new Duralast one for about the same price, but i do not know about their quality, as to me napa is high quality, and sometimes a reman is better as it uses ford parts, right?

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G

I cna get one for 172.92 but that is before 10% discount. it is a ford 6G alternator.This is the napa premium one with a lifetime warranty. i can get a brand new Duralast one for about the same price, but i do not know about their quality, as to me napa is high quality, and sometimes a reman is better as it uses ford parts, right?

I doubt if a reman uses Ford parts.

The reman ones probably always replace the brushes. But what else, depends upon who. Bearings, yes if there is play. Diode bridge, yes if broken, some simply solder in new diodes.

Find a local rebuild place is my first thought. What does RockAuto sell?

Rock auto has a brand new bosch for the same ammount, but friend talked me out of it, mostly due to the fact that using the warranty is harder if it is not in a store, since i have to send it back.

I bought a NAPA alternator for my Nissan truck and it failed within one year. I went back and got another and it started acting up so I just went to a private parts store and bought a Bosch.

The NAPA alternators, both of them, had the threads oversized and didn't fit correctly as if they chased them with a SAE tap instead of a metric.

I haven't had any trouble out of the Bosch so far. I think I paid $30 more for the Bosch but I got tired of crawling under my truck.

Rock auto has a brand new bosch for the same ammount, but friend talked me out of it, mostly due to the fact that using the warranty is harder if it is not in a store, since i have to send it back.

Try plugging the Bosch part number into Amazon and see what they are selling it for. I would imagine prices are similar and making a return to Amazon (if necessary) would be easier.

What is the year/make/model/engine? I see you mention Ford 6G, but I assume there are different versions of this model depending on the vehicle in which it was originally installed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

What is the year/make/model/engine? I see you mention Ford 6G, but I assume there are different versions of this model depending on the vehicle in which it was originally installed.

2003 Mercury Sable, 105-110 amp alternator. OHV Vulcan V6 (12 valve, same as flex fuel)

Since it's a Ford, would the Motorcraft remans have a better fit? I haven't owned any Fords, so I haven't used any of their parts. It looks like they're a little pricier, though.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I bought a NAPA alternator for my Nissan truck and it failed within one year. I went back and got another and it started acting up so I just went to a private parts store and bought a Bosch.

The NAPA alternators, both of them, had the threads oversized and didn't fit correctly as if they chased them with a SAE tap instead of a metric.

I haven't had any trouble out of the Bosch so far. I think I paid $30 more for the Bosch but I got tired of crawling under my truck.

Was it a "Hardbody" Nissan truck?

I went through two NAPA alternators back in the day also with my Hardbody truck. Diode failures in both of them and of course out of warranty. Threw in a AutoZone Duralast and was fine up until I sold the truck.

Soured me to NAPA electrical parts from then on in.

Last edited:
I put a reman World Wide alternator on my truck about 6 weeks ago. I bought it at Advance and used a discount code to save $50.00 on it, so my price with tax was $109.00. It is doing fine, working just the same as any OEM or other brand alternator, plus it has a lifetime warranty. Bosch reman alternators are said to be better but Bosch was not in my budget.

The new Duralast should be a good start.
Sure, you can have 'infant mortality' with anything, but it is a pretty sure thing.
Bosch rebuilds are pricey, but very good.
Napa is a cut above other parts stores .

The Duralast alternator looks exactly the same as my alternator from AAP. Both alternators also have the exact same part number. My alternator box had a label that said it was rebuilt in Mexico, I have a good idea it came from the BBB plant down there. BBB is also the rebuilder for Napa alternators. I have no way to know for sure but I do believe both alternators came from the same BBB factory in Mexico. The Duralast is probably also from BBB down in Mexico. I saved $50.00 on the same alternator that comes from Napa, AZ and AAP, no matter what store you buy it.

How many alternator rebuilding factories can there really be in Mexico anyway? And why would BBB need more than one rebuilding factory in Mexico when their primary reason for relocating their rebuilding facilities from an American factory in Alabama with higher-paid American workers to a Mexican factory with much lower-paid Mexican workers was to reduce their costs and therefore increase their profits?

I just now copied this straight from the BBB web site:

BBB was founded in 1987 by brothers Jeffrey and Bruce Bigler. They initially operated the company as a regional remanufacturer of rotating electrical parts, focusing primarily on the niche import market. BBB established a reputation with its Southeast area customers as a reliable supplier of high quality, hard-to-find, remanufactured starters and alternators.

The company operated in Mobile, Alabama until 1998 when all manufacturing operations were moved to Reynosa, Mexico to enable the strategic changes in the operating philosophy of the company. The company's long term strategy is to capitalize on the labor cost savings in a low-cost country, to make significant quality improvements to the products and to provide market leading customer service and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back