Paper towels on Windshield and Dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been using microfiber towels for cleaning my windshield and cotton towels for my dash. They dont seem to be cleaning as well as I would like, I sometimes get strings/lint and I have to wash them seperately in my washing machine.

Can I use regular kitchen paper towels or the blue paper shop towels for the windshield and dash or will that scratch?

It says not to use the blue Scott towels for glass,but I do anyway,and seems to work fine.

You're probably washing the towels wrong. Only wash microfibre with other microfibre, never with cotton towels. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Always do a second rinse cycle to make sure all the detergent is gone.

Why not get a dash duster from an auto parts store for your dash. Then follow up with something to protect it. I use Meguiar's Natural Shine. What product are you using on your windshield? I use Stoner's Invisible Glass foam spray. I use two microfiber clothes that say they are specifically for glass. One to spread the cleaner around and the second to dry it thoroughly.

Im trying to avoid using the washing machine for them. I have to use a laundromat, so that gets really expensive just for that, cheaper just to buy new ones really.

Ive tried just hand washing, way too much work to get the detergent out of the microfiber cloths.

Newspaper ! I did not believe this either thinking the newspaper ink would effect glass but somehow it does not and windshields come out perfect,,I drove for a tow truck company and they had their truck washer use newspaper only on their fleet of vehicles

Always wash your microfibers with warm water no bleach and no fabric softener. I would also get microfiber rejuvenator which will help.

Originally Posted By: heyu
Newspaper !

Yup. This has been the ultimate glass cleaning paper for decades, as many an old housewife can attest. Glass only. Not for plastic, not for painted.

Also good for delivering babies in an emergency, as unless read, it is clean and germ-free.

Originally Posted By: dparm
You're probably washing the towels wrong. Only wash microfibre with other microfibre, never with cotton towels. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Always do a second rinse cycle to make sure all the detergent is gone.

EXACTLY!

Griot's even sells a special wash for micro fibers but I think that is overkill and a waste of money/

This is what I do.
I went nutz and now have a couple hundred or so. I'll keep the used in 5-gallon buckets till time to wash to make a few loads. Actually, the wife takes care of them for me. Triple fold and has shelf areas to store the stacks of clean MF.

Last edited:
If you have linting problems, it may be time to upgrade. Cheaper MF towels will leave lint, so will older worn ones. Buy towels specifically made for glass cleaning.

If you find it cheaper to throw out MF towels and replace them, then you're buying an inferior towel. A good quality MF glass towel will run you $5-8 each. Not something you want to just toss out.

Get a California Mini Duster for the dash. Use the terrycloth on the exterior windshield and the microfiber on the interior windshield. MF towels should be washed prior to fist use. As bretfraz said you don't throw out quality MF towels so you must be using low quality to start with. Paper towels will work on glass but will make a mess on the dash.

Always do a second rinse cycle to make sure all the detergent is gone.

Like FN, I am forced to use either the condo complex's machines, or a laundromat.

These DO NOT allow for a second rinse without paying for a whole new wash cycle, which as he stated, becomes MORE expensive than buying new (even very high quality) microfiber towels.

Maybe use very little detergent to begin with on a one cycle wash??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back