Subaru Factory Fill, 3043 Miles, 2012 Impreza 2.0i

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Oil change on my new 2012 Impreza 2.0i 5-door. w/ CVT
It has the Subaru's new FB20 Boxer engine.

2012ImprezaUOA-1.png

The new Oil is Subaru 0w-20 Full Synthetic performed by the dealer. This change will go aprox. 4500 miles before being sampled and tested again.

The moly levels in Subaru's FF are sensational. Just curious, are they telling you to keep it in there longer like Honda or was the 3000 mi first change interval dealer/manufacturer recommended?

Hmmm, what information were you hoping to get by testing the factory fill after so few miles? I just sent mine in with 5k miles on the post-FF oil, after dumping the FF at 1,500 miles, to see if fuel dilution is a problem with my '12 Focus's DI engine and whether I can safely go to 7.5k OCI or even the "recommended" 10k mile OCI with synthetic blend. Just wondering what info this test gives you especially since you've switched to synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
The moly levels in Subaru's FF are sensational. Just curious, are they telling you to keep it in there longer like Honda or was the 3000 mi first change interval dealer/manufacturer recommended?

The first was dealer recommended at a round 3750. I have a free 2yr 24K mile Service agreement. so It cost me nothing.

They want me in again at the 7500 mile mark for a tire rotation and another oil change. I plan on taking a sample just prior to that visit and the results of that will determine If I get the oil changed at that time.

Originally Posted By: kam327
Hmmm, what information were you hoping to get by testing the factory fill after so few miles? I just sent mine in with 5k miles on the post-FF oil, after dumping the FF at 1,500 miles, to see if fuel dilution is a problem with my '12 Focus's DI engine and whether I can safely go to 7.5k OCI or even the "recommended" 10k mile OCI with synthetic blend. Just wondering what info this test gives you especially since you've switched to synthetic.

Wanted a starting point to compare to mainly. This test is probably less informative than the next one will be but wanted something to compare the next one to.

Also there was not a switch to Synthetic here. Synthetic is Factory Fill and the Owners Manual states this engine requires 0w-20 Synthetic. The Factory Fill was an unknown starting viscosity. The Blackstone folks seem to think the Factory Fill was 5w-20.

The Subie forums seem to agree that the High Moly is not necessarily from the factory oil fill but from elsewhere in the engine manufacturing process.

Originally Posted By: ZionZR2

Wanted a starting point to compare to mainly. This test is probably less informative than the next one will be but wanted something to compare the next one to.

Also there was not a switch to Synthetic here. Synthetic is Factory Fill and the Owners Manual states this engine requires 0w-20 Synthetic. The Factory Fill was an unknown starting viscosity. The Blackstone folks seem to think the Factory Fill was 5w-20.

The Subie forums seem to agree that the High Moly is not necessarily from the factory oil fill but from elsewhere in the engine manufacturing process.

Its a good idea for trending. You have the real starting point. Make a sheet and keep posting. Will be interesting to follow. Thanks.

Last edited:
I dumped my FF at 3,000. I'm coming up on 7,500 miles in a few weeks. I will be sending in my UOA for my 2012 Impreza. I have Havoline 0W-20 in the crankcase right now. Eneos 0W-20 will be going in next.

Originally Posted By: ZionZR2

The moly is from the manufacturing process and the factory fill Idemitsu, which gets higher levels of moly than the dealer service fill.

-Dennis

You should start seeing some indicative results real soon with all the Ford 2.0L ecoboosts out there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back