What is the best TBI and air intake cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they do sell TBI cleaner, but I used carburetor cleaner and it worked fine for me. I used an old toothbrush to scrape all the built up gunk around the throttle plate. idling fine now.
grin.gif

IMHO, Amsoil Powerfoam. Do change the oil within 500 miles of fogging/cleaning the TBI area as it will eat the TBN right out of the motor oil, regardless of brand you use.

Buy it from our friendly Amsoil site supporters and keep BITOG online !!!

Terry

Amsoil Powerfoam rocks!59 Vetteman clued me in on this stuff.Follow Terry's advice.

Mark

digi, foams quite nicely and sticks to the components instead of dripping off.

Terry

terry, thanks for letting me know....

seafoam covers the entire area...but later evaporates...so your saying amsoil is better?

i hate spraying alot to get on the walls of my intake chambers....dont even know where it is going haha

Digi, I haven't used seafoam so I can't say for sure in comparison. I do know that the Power Foam works great and does not leave much residue unless the area is really gunked up. If so spray more in there !

quote:

Originally posted by Draftmaster3:
i am going to use the spray can cleaner, and was wondering what is the best one?
dunno.gif

My favorite TBI & intake cleaner is frequent use of wide open throttle to redline.
grin.gif

Napa sells a 3M product for TBI and intake cleaning,worked really well in my 99 Corolla.Cleaned it right up!

Okay, stupid question. It was mentioned above that one should have the oil changed soon after cleaning the TBI. Why? The engine is not running(am I wrong on this) for cleaning the throttle body ( not an injection service) and even if running this is the air intake and why should harmful chemicals get into the oil while performing such a short procedure?.

Recently had this done (solved my sticking gas pedal problem) but I was going to run the RX cycle with this same batch of oil starting this weekend. Thus, another 1500 miles would be on the oil after the TBI cleaning.

?????????????

I always wanted a different name as Terence/Terry got me beat up alot early on in redneck southern Indiana grade schools !!

Alan is a more manley sounding name. Thanks Draftmaster3.
cheers.gif

Spector, don't freak out. True, depending on how much gets past the intake valves and into the PCV system will determine how much depletion. If I idle the car and smoke my neighbors with it I change the oil within 500 miles. If just a TBI clean and not running and I don't get alot into the motor oil it should be fine. UOA will show it and to all you guys who won't own up to spraying carb/cleaner into the engine, I can see it !!!

My customers that use dishwashing detergent to clean their AMsoil oiled foam air filters and don't get all the detergent out deplete the TBN rapidly as it is ingested, especially if it didn't dry completely.

Terry, not Sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back